- Acts as resource person regarding the unit's policies and procedures. Resolves problems within area of responsibility. Consults relevant documentation and liaises with appropriate resource persons to obtain and provide information on diverse and complex issues.
- Updates, prepares and coordinates publication of documents such as publicity brochures, departmental handbooks, and annual reports. Drafts correspondence and other short documents of a complex nature. Formats documents and edits for grammar, spelling and accuracy. Takes notes and types various documents such as correspondence, reports, memos. Signs certain documents.
- Administers accounts for unit. Prepares budgets or budget proposals. Monitors and reconciles various accounts, statements, and reports. Identifies and analyses discrepancies and errors. Corrects errors and follows up on problems. Records expenses and provides account statements on request.
- Maintains supervisor's agenda. Sets up appointments, reminds supervisor of appointments and organizes schedule according to priorities.
- Provides information to callers and visitors. Determines reason for call or visit and prepares necessary documents. Directs callers and visitors to appropriate resource persons. Assesses need for intervention of other resource persons and arranges appointments as necessary.
- Screens and sorts mail. Prepares files attaching appropriate supporting documentation and researching information as required. Responds to requests within area of responsibility. Notes required actions and ensures follow-up.
- Schedules meetings, contacts participants and books meeting rooms. Assists with preparation of agenda. Attends meetings, takes minutes, and follows up on decisions within area of responsibility.
- Coordinates arrangements for events such as symposia and conferences. Makes travel arrangements.
- Uses a variety of software. Maintains computerized information systems and participates in their development to improve efficiency within the unit. Acts as a resource person concerning the use of software. Explains and demonstrates the use of software, resolves problems within area of expertise, and liaises with computer resource persons as required. Maintains and updates administrative files. Maintains filing systems and arranges for archiving.
The list of duties and responsibilities outlined above is representative and not a complete and detailed list of tasks, which may be performed by an employee whose position has been matched to this generic job description.
DEP (Secretarial/Office Systems)
Four (4) years related experience
Please submit your application online at http://www.mcgill.ca/medhr/positions-available/apply-now. Click on “APPLY NOW” and clearly indicate the reference number.
The deadline to apply for this position is April 26, 2018 at 5:00 PM.
*Current employees: please indicate your McGill ID number in your application.*
We thank all applicants for their interest in McGill University. However, the Faculty of Medicine will only contact applicants selected for an interview.