Under the direction of the immediate supervisor, provides administrative and secretarial support. Participates in ensuring the smooth functioning of the unit's operations. Acts as resource person for policies and procedures. Administers unit accounts. Assists in the organization of unit activities. Responsible for documents and files of the unit. Maintains computerized information systems.
- Acts as resource person regarding the unit's policies and procedures. Resolves problems within area of responsibility. Consults relevant documentation and liaises with appropriate resource persons to obtain and provide information on diverse and complex issues.
- Participates in ensuring the smooth functioning of the unit. Recommends procedural changes to enable unit to function more effectively. Collaborates with supervisor and others in establishing work priorities. Follows up on and ensures appropriate implementation of decisions made by supervisor.
- Updates, prepares and coordinates publication of documents such as publicity brochures, departmental handbooks, and annual reports. Drafts correspondence and other short documents of a complex nature. Formats documents and edits for grammar, spelling and accuracy. Takes notes and types various documents such as correspondence, reports, memos. Signs certain documents.
- Participates in activities related to student affairs such as admission, pre-registration, registration, financial aid and international student-related issues. Keeps track of enrolments, course changes, reporting student standings, loans, bursaries and scholarship awards. Refers problems outside of area of expertise to appropriate resource persons or official.
- Provides information to callers and visitors. Determines reason for call or visit and prepares necessary documents. Directs callers and visitors to appropriate resource persons. Assesses need for intervention of other resource persons and arranges appointments as necessary.
- Uses a variety of software. Maintains computerized information systems and participates in their development to improve efficiency within the unit. Acts as a resource person concerning the use of software. Explains and demonstrates the use of software, resolves problems within area of expertise, and liaises with computer resource persons as required. Maintains and updates administrative files. Maintains filing systems and arranges for archiving.
The list of duties and responsibilities outlined above is representative and not a complete and detailed list of tasks, which may be performed by an employee whose position has been matched to this generic job description.
DEP (Secretarial/Office Systems).
Four (4) years’ related experience.
Other Qualifying Skills and/or Abilities:
Must be customer focused and service oriented, assisting all clients with tact and diplomacy while maintaining a professional manner and appearance at all times. Demonstrated ability to clearly receive, retain and transmit information with a proven ability to communicate clearly and effectively at all levels. Proven ability to draft correspondence and to accurately proofread documents using appropriate spelling, grammar, punctuation, and formatting. Must be accurate and possess superior attention to detail. Demonstrated ability to provide support for various administrative activities. Proven ability to work autonomously and as a member of a team. Demonstrated ability to take initiative, problem-solve and organize work. Strong organizational skills with ability to multi-task, prioritize and work under pressure to meet multiple deadlines in a fast-paced, dynamic environment. Proven discretion in dealing with confidential information. Demonstrated ease with technological applications with a proven ability to work in a PC environment using Crystal Reports, MS Word, advanced Excel and Outlook, Banner (BSA, SIS and FIS) and Minerva FAA Admin, SR Admin and Finance. English, excellent spoken and written skills required. French, spoken and read.
How to Apply:
*Internal candidates: Please provide your McGill ID number when applying.*
Please submit your curriculum vitae and cover letter, clearly indicating the reference number, via email to: hr.stuserv [at] mcgill.ca
Applications must be received no later than January 23, 2018 at 5:00 PM.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
McGill University is committed to equity in employment and diversity. It welcomes applications from indigenous peoples, visible minorities, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities, women, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, and others who may contribute to further diversification.