Manage the administrative activities of the Departments of Music Research and Performance. Perform and organize activities to support the daily operations of the units concerning; Administration, Academics, Finance and Human Resources. Foster positive working relationships with other units as well as external organizations.
- Actively support the Chairs with academic planning and the fulfillment of priorities for the teaching Departments of the Schulich School of Music: Music Research and Performance.
- Plan, organize, supervise and perform administrative activities supporting the daily operations of the units related to budget/finance, workloads, course offerings, enrollment, course evaluations, scheduling, human resources and accounting/payroll.
- Supervise the departmental Administrative Assistant in managing the day-to-day office administration of the units (includes indirect supervision of the departmental Student Affairs Coordinator).
- Supervise the unit’s Scheduler regarding entrance auditions and exam/recital scheduling as well as administration of the Practical Instruction process.
- Oversee the coordination of workflow within the units regarding academic and administrative processes. Ensure process and procedures are well documented and updated.
- Develop and implement procedures, controls and record-keeping systems for the unit.
- Oversee the human resources for the unit. This includes advising on union matters, academic hiring and related procedures, payroll compliance, online forms and records of employment.
- Provide guidance pertaining to the collective agreements such as; MCLIU, AGESM, AMUSE as well as resolve issues surrounding those various collective agreements.
- Foster positive working relationships and liaise with other units (e.g. other Schulich School of Music units, Enrollment Services, Academic Personnel Office) as well as external organizations (e.g. Marianopolis College).
- Analyze administrative problems, determine course of action, and provide advice to faculty, department or unit on problem resolution. Act as advisor to Area Chairs and Program Coordinators.
- Analyze the financial operations of the units. Ensure accurate and efficient recording of the units’ financial position. Participate in budgetary planning and recommend budget allocations, prepare and submit operating budgets and other financial reports (e.g. monitor operating funds, correct discrepancies, and assist the Administrative Assistant in providing regular reports to the Financial Officer and Chairs).
- Actively support the Chairs on matters relating to merit, sabbatical projections and decisions.
- Provide support and guidance on various special projects and new initiatives such as: implementation of R2R (Work Day), Banner/Minerva upgrades, logic for webforms and database development for Schulich School of Music
- Attends and actively participates in various meetings, training and events. This includes, but is not limited to: Faculty Council, Performance Council, Music Research Council, Performance Area Chairs (PAC), Music Research Area Chairs (MRAC), Academic Committee on Teaching and Programs (ACTP), etc. Makes recommendations and provides solutions.
Three (3) years' related experience
Please submit your cover letter and curriculum vitae, clearly indicating the reference number, to Staffing:
McGill University, Human Resources (Staffing)
688 Sherbrooke Street West, suite 1520
staffing.hr [at] mcgill.ca
The deadline to apply for this position is April 26, 2018 at 5:00 PM.
*Current employees: please indicate your McGill ID number in your application.*
We thank all applicants for their interest in McGill University. However, Staffing will only contact applicants selected for an interview.