Reporting to the Senior Director in Student Housing & Hospitality Services (SHHS) of McGill University, The Associate Director Protection provides guidance, leadership and direction of comprehensive safety strategies, programs and services to the Residence community. Responsible to administer, analyze, supervise, manage and direct the delivery of security services within the Residences. Enforces policies, procedures, legislation and regulations concerning building access control, thefts and incidents, accidents and safety training. Foster a safe and healthy environment for students, staff and visitors. Maintain and improve the standards for the protection, security and maintenance of the unit’s property. Collaborates closely with the Campus Public Safety unit, which encompasses Security Services, Fire Prevention, Emergency Management & Preparedness as well as Parking & Transportation Services.
- Liaise with Campus Public Safety to ensure robust security measures are in place in all Residence Halls and SHHS operated buildings and ensures these measures are promoted within SHHS Unit.
- In conjunction with Security Services, SHHS (operations & Rez Life) and SLL, the Associate Director must be able to develop a comprehensive security plan, delivered to the Senior Director in SHHS. The plan will address physical security, policies, procedures, human deployment, and university educational efforts relating to residence hall safety and SHHS Protection Services.
- Provide senior professional expertise and guidance in the development and implementation of safety and security policies, programs and systems that support unit initiatives. Educate stakeholders, manage change and ensure consistent performance throughout the residence system.
- Create, plan, deliver and develop a centralized training program to cover all aspects of residence hall security; includes training for night stewards, front desk staff, SHHS Operations staff and Rez Life staff.
- Lead regular safety meetings with all stakeholders (Security Services, SHHS Ops and Rez Life, SLL) to exchange information and discuss areas of ongoing concerns.
- Meet with SHHS facilities team to discuss areas that requires trades-related interventions for safety purposes (e.g. alarms on doors not properly closing, etc.).
- Enhance incident reporting and information sharing capabilities in conjunction with Security Services.
- Ensure violations of SHHS policies are consistently documented for judicial review.
- Research and implement an automated visitor management software package to ensure a robust guest registration process is in place.
- Exercise control over financial, physical and human resources.
- Provide advice and censor compliance with human resources policies and procedures.
- Evaluate and recommend staffing and training needs, ensure internal equity and the provision of required support services.
- Participate in establishing the strategic direction of the unit, oversee implementation of short, and long term plans to improve and enhance the safety and security of SHHS clients.
- Keep abreast of inspections standards and best practices; interpret safety policies, procedures, legislation and regulations; ensure quality control processes are applied; and contribute to the development of safety policies.
- Develop policies and programs and determine priorities for the delivery of safety initiatives.
- Disseminate information to the SHHS community on safety issues. . Ensure safety standards, procedures, regulatory requirements and Crime Prevention campaigns are developed and monitored, in collaboration with the University's Campus Public Safety.
- Responsible for establishing a tracking and communication system for the Night Steward staff.
- Administer and coordinate the SHHS security systems and inventory (cameras, etc.); responsible for their proper functioning.
- Determine priorities for the delivery of security services in the Residences.
- Justify budget requests to Senior Director.
- Attend senior level meetings and represent SHHS at internal or external meetings.
- May be called upon to attend University Residence Council and alcohol Policy setting committee meetings.
- Participates in the Floor Fellow Orientation to educate student leaders on SHHS policies and procedures.
- Manage a team of professional and administrative staff.
Five (5) years' related experience
*Internal candidates: Please provide your McGill ID number when applying.*
Please submit your curriculum vitae and cover letter, clearly indicating the reference number:
McGill University, Student Housing & Hospitality Services
475 Sherbrooke Street West
hrapplication2.shhs [at] mcgill.ca