Reporting to the Executive Director, Soutar Career Center, the Career Advisor will counsel, advise BCom management students and support their career planning and skills development; contributing toward and improving on unit objectives, practices and on career issues, job market opportunities, and job search strategies. The role is to ensure that students in specific management streams are aware of the tools that will ensure their successful career and professional development. The candidate will also participate in the development and implementation of market strategies to promote the Career Services activities and participates in career planning initiatives. Contributing as necessary to internal and external communications; and supporting the development of industry- and function-specific knowledge.
- Provide individualized career coaching to current BCom students to support their career planning and skills development, including the administration of career assessment tools, preparation for on-campus recruiting ( cv/cover letter/ interviews) and self-directed job search
- Collaborate with other members of Career Services to prepare and provide all relevant workshops. Participate in organizing of career events.
- Managing of specific programs, where applicable; i.e. BCom Mentoring.
- Represent Career Services at internal and/or external meetings when necessary
- Support the unit’s overall strategic plans and annual objectives for BCom career development
- Maintain contacts in the business community, develop and implement strategies to increase employer base. Build relationships with stream-relevant student clubs, MUS, Faculty, Alumni.
- Develop career-related materials. Participate in the creation of video tutorials, resume book reviews, other as required.
Three (3) years' related experience
OR Undergraduate Degree
One (1) year related experience
*Internal candidates: Please provide your McGill ID number when applying.*
Please submit your curriculum vitae and cover letter, clearly indicating the reference number:
McGill University, Desautels Faculty of Management, Area Personnel Office
1001 Sherbrooke Street West (Samuel Bronfman Building), room 454
hr.mgmt [at] mcgill.ca