- Oversees the day-to-day operations of a laboratory. Organizes, distributes and verifies the work of others, and participates in their training.
- Plans and executes laboratory projects and experiments within objectives set by supervisor. Performs literature searches, reviews, selects and modifies methodology.
- Performs a variety of specialized technical tasks in fields such as chemistry, biochemistry, physiology, histology, toxicology, microbiology, immunology, molecular biology, animal surgery, etc.
- Compiles experimental and analytical data. Prepares reports. Analyzes and discusses results and their interpretation with others. Participates in devising new methodology. Maintains records and files.
- Acts as resource person, resolves problems and instructs others. Provides technical guidance and assistance concerning work methods, the use of equipment and techniques, and the analysis of results.
- Participates in the preparation of material for publication or presentation. Prepares graphs, tables, lists of references, and descriptions of procedures.
- Ensures compliance with safety regulations in the use of equipment. Ensures proper storage, handling and disposal of hazardous materials.
- Maintains equipment and performs minor repairs. Arranges for servicing.
- Maintains inventory. Recommends and purchases equipment and material.
- Performs accounting functions such as monitoring expenditures, verifying ledgers and resolving discrepancies. Forecasts costs of supplies, materials and equipment.
The list of duties and responsibilities outlined above is representative and not a complete and detailed list of tasks, which may be performed by an employee whose position has been matched to this generic job description.
Undergraduate Degree (Biology or Sciences)
Two (2) years' related experience.
*Internal candidates: Please provide your McGill ID number when applying.*
Please submit your application online at http://www.mcgill.ca/medhr/positions-available/apply-now. Click on “APPLY NOW” and clearly indicate the reference number.