The Department of Kinesiology and Physical Education (KPE) of McGill’s Faculty of Education has been offering an outstanding physical education teacher education program since 1912. There are approximately 200 undergraduate students taught annually. The Department is committed to the development of high quality PHE professionals who will teach physical activity, sport, health and well-being within schools for children, adolescents and young adults in the province of Quebec and beyond.
The Department of KPE invites applications for a full-time position as Faculty Lecturer in Physical Education Instruction and Professional Practices. We are seeking an individual who will make a significant contribution to the teaching mission of our department’s Physical and Health Education (PHE) program through undergraduate teaching offerings and departmental service.
The Faculty Lecturer, Physical and Health Education Instruction and Professional Practices will work closely with the Undergraduate Program Director and will report to Department Chair. The incumbent will be expected to maintain a full-time teaching load each year as well to actively engage in service to the department, institution and professional community.
Primary responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Teach a full load (i.e. approx. 21cr) of undergraduate courses in the PHE Teacher Education Program, from a models-based instructional perspective;
- Assist in the development of our department’s expected pedagogical alignment of required and physical activity course offerings;
- Provide support to KPE in terms of curriculum design and development, outreach initiatives, Quebec Education Program requirements, and administration, as required;
- Assist in the coordination of all four cohorts of PHE student teachers by acting as a KPE liaison with the Internships and Student Affairs of the Faculty of Education, McGill University;
- Oversee the yearly assessment of B.Ed. students’ logbooks;
- Assist in the creation and quality maintenance of KPE’s B.Ed. undergraduate professional portfolios;
- Establish links between the department, Faculty of Education and local school and community partners.
- Must hold a Master’s degree, or evidence that Master’s work is ongoing, in physical and health education. Additional undergraduate degrees in fine arts (e.g., dance) and professional certifications (e.g., gymnastics, martial arts, etc.) are also considered as desirable assets;
- Must hold a physical and health education teacher certification (Quebec brevet or equivalent);
- Must show evidence of an outstanding teaching record at the university level for the instruction of physical activity course offerings from a curriculum models-based perspective;
- Minimum of three to five (3-5) years of teaching experience in the formal K-12 school system.
Other Qualifying Skills and/or Abilities:
University-level teaching experience in games, movement education, martial arts, gymnastics, and track and field for children and adolescents. Demonstrated ability to work in a computerized environment using word-processing, databases, spreadsheets and presentation software. Strong written and oral communication skills in both English and French.
This is a full-time ranked academic, non-tenure track position with an initial appointment of one (1) year. Target start date August 1, 2018.
How to Apply:
Please submit your complete application, with the following subject header: AK8977 Application, KPE Faculty Lecturer, via email to: hr.education [at] mcgill.ca.
Applications must include:
- Cover letter summarizing relevant educational background and work experience;
- Curriculum vitae tailored to this position;
- Evidence of university degrees completed (or in progress);
- Additional certifications, if applicable;
- University teaching evaluations, if applicable;
- The name and title of three (3) referees along with contact information.
The three referees are expected to submit a letter of reference addressed to Dr. Julie Côté, Chair, Department of Kinesiology and Physical Education of McGill University, and mailed separately to hr.education [at] mcgill.ca, with subject header: AK8977, KPE Faculty Lecturer position.
The review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
*Current employees: Please provide your McGill ID number when applying*
McGill University is committed to equity in employment and diversity. It welcomes applications from indigenous peoples, visible minorities, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities, women, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, and others who may contribute to further diversification.