Provide financial and accounting services centrally to support the recording and reporting of the University’s financial position. Provide financial information and analysis, implement and monitor financial and accounting policies and procedures, develop and implement financial controls, process and monitor financial transactions.
- Administer the endowment fund activities related to the University’s financial position through the formulation of generally accepted accounting principles, regulations, reporting and controls. Oversee a variety of accounting and budget transactions including journal entries, advances, expense reports, payment requisitions, supplier invoicing, accounts payable, accounts receivable and other functions.
- Administer a high volume of spendable income funds and their corresponding endowment capital funds. Verifies and codes new fund requests and opens endowment, spendable income and x-coded funds when approved by supervisor
- Examine, monitor, analyze and reconcile accounting and financial records as well as documents ensuring accuracy and compliance with University procedures and guidelines, as well as ensuring that all transactions agree with the legally binding Memorandum of Agreement or donor intent.
- Verify, calculate and process capitalization and de-capitalization requests, liquidation of endowment and number of units owing for matching fund transfers.
- Maintain current records/fund information in Banner and paper files to trigger year-end feed report.
- Investigate and update records without FOATEXT or sufficient information.
- Prepare and provide financial reporting for Fund Financial Managers, administrators and Financial Service Teams as requested.
- Upload and enter daily account balances from RBC for cash reconciliation
- Recreate monthly unitization and income distribution manually to ensure that ISR automated feeds are accurate. Maintain manual spreadsheet for said transactions made to all endowment related funds.
- Prepare retro income distribution feed monthly.
- Calculate prior year retro income monthly and prepare feed accordingly.
- Prepare monthly budget adjustment feeds.
- Upload and print financial documents for investment reconciliation from CIBC Mellon on a monthly basis.
- Prepare and provide various financial calculations and reports.
- Prepare yearly budget feed for projected income.
- Prepare year end capitalization feed
- Prepare and process year-end transfers, re-occurring transfers and letters of guarantee.
- Prepare necessary schedules required for the purpose of the fiscal year end audit
- Assist in preparation of Financial Statement Analysis
- Act as a resource person and resolve problems.
- Organize and prepare Medal orders for various Faculty Scholarship/Award funds.
- Perform and organize activities to support the daily operations of the unit by ensuring that accounting functions are carried out in accordance with established goals and objectives.
- Implement administrative procedures or systems that are moderately complex in support of the unit’s operations and ensure activities meet or exceed established quality requirements.
- Support the recording and reporting of the University’s financial position.
- Administer endowment funds in adherence to internal and external accounting policies and procedures and donor agreements.
- Assist or establish financial priorities by monitoring all financial transactions and resources.
- Apply information received and select the most appropriate procedure for performing accounting administration activities within pre-established guidelines.
- Summarize financial transactions in accordance with University policies and procedures.
- Initiate and process a number of accounting activities such as opening accounts, journal entries, advances, requisitions, expense reports, supplier invoices and procurement card purchases and check deposits.
- Monitor funds by reconciling expenses and deposits against the general ledger and resolve discrepancies.
- Verify documents for completeness and compliance with donor agreements. Prepare financial statements and invoices or billings to agencies, donors and other contributors. Reconcile common advance funds and ongoing receivables. Ensure compliance with external reporting guidelines and restrictions.
- Approve financial transactions for fund availability, restrictions and proper coding within established limits.
- Establish and foster effective working relationships by identifying needs and providing support in the delivery of services. Assess and resolve problems. When appropriate, inform supervisor and formulate recommendations.
- Support the Senior Finance Officer in the financial statement preparation for the endowment funds.
Three (3) years' related experience
Other Qualifying Skills and/or Abilities:
Knowledge of accounting principles and solid financial analytical skills. Demonstrated organizational skills and ability to multi-task. Accuracy and attention to detail. Ability to clearly transmit and receive information. Strong interpersonal skills with proven customer focus and ability to analyze and solve difficult problems. Demonstrated ability to work in a PC environment using word-processing, spreadsheets, relational databases, financial reporting, statistical or other applications in order to compile, manipulate, process, and/or format data and reports. Knowledge of Banner HRIS, FIS and Crystal Reports. English and French, spoken and written.
How to Apply:
Please submit your cover letter and curriculum vitae, clearly indicating the reference number, to Financial Services at hr.finserve [at] mcgill.ca.
The deadline to apply for this position is April 26, 2018 at 5:00 PM.
*Current employees: please indicate your McGill ID number in your application.*
We thank all applicants for their interest in McGill University. However, Financial Services will only contact applicants selected for an interview.
McGill University is committed to equity in employment and diversity. It welcomes applications from indigenous peoples, visible minorities, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities, women, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, and others who may contribute to further diversification.