Under the supervision of the Supervisor Research Financial Management, the Financial Administrator provides accounting services to support internal and external reporting of the University's financial position while ensuring compliance with generally accepted accounting principles, regulations and controls. Supports the daily faculty/unit/department operations by ensuring that accounting administration is carried out in accordance with established goals and objectives. Administers operating and other funds, ensuring adherence to internal and external accounting policies and procedures, or contract obligations. Develops procedures and systems that support faculty/unit/department operations and acts as advisor to faculties/units/departments regarding University accounting policies and procedures.
- Perform budget and accounting functions and assist with budget preparation and financial reports.
- Interpret information and select the most appropriate accounting administration activities.
- Record, classify and summarize financial transactions and events in accordance with University policies and procedures.
- Initiate and process a number of accounting activities such as opening accounts, journal entries, advances, requisitions, expense reports, petty cash, supplier invoices and procurement card purchases and cheque deposits.
- Monitor funds by reconciling expenses and deposits against the general ledger and resolve discrepancies.
- Assess and resolve accounting issues and discrepancies, and when appropriate, inform supervisor and provide information and recommendations to staff, students and external organizations.
- Verify documents for completeness and compliance with government and private agency rules and regulations.
- Prepare financial statements and invoices to agencies, donors and other contributor as well as reconcile common advance funds and ongoing receivables. Ensure compliance with external reporting guidelines and restrictions and approve financial transactions for fund availability and restrictions.
- Supervise and train support staff assisting with accounting functions.
- Use a variety of software applications such as the University's Financial Information System, spreadsheets, relational databases, financial reporting, statistical or other applications in order to compile, manipulate, process, and/or format data and reports.
Three (3) years' related experience
*Internal candidates: Please provide your McGill ID number when applying.*
Please submit your curriculum vitae and cover letter, clearly indicating the reference number, via email to: hr.finserve [at] mcgill.ca