Under the supervision of the Director, Capital Projects, the incumbent will be responsible for the provision of financial, budgeting and accounting services for Facilities Management to support the recording and reporting of the University's financial position. He/she will be accountable for providing financial information and analysis, evaluating business and financial implications of budget proposals and funding scenarios, implementing and monitoring financial and accounting policies and procedures, developing and implementing financial controls, processing and monitoring of financial transactions. This position also includes the provision of financial, budgeting and accounting support for decision-making at the senior administration level (Associate Vice-Principal Facilities Management and Ancillary Services), including strategic planning and advice.
- Provide accounting services to support the recording and internal and/or external reporting of the University's financial position, and ensure an accurate reflection of the University's financial position through the formulation, administration and implementation of generally accepted accounting principles, regulations and controls.
- Participate in establishing strategic direction of the unit and oversee implementation of short and long-term plans required for the efficient delivery of accounting services.
- Provide professional expertise in the development and implementation of policies, processes and guidelines that support unit initiatives.
- Deliver or support the delivery of accounting services in situations involving diverse practices and precedents.
- Undertake in-depth analysis of highly complex accounting issues, assess impact to the University/unit, articulate alternatives and recommend solutions.
- Ensure implementation of new initiatives that support the strategic direction of the department/unit by keeping abreast of new developments and trends in field of expertise. Represent unit at internal and/or external meetings.
- Manage Facilities Management’s operating funds with responsibility for preparation, consolidation and submission of the FBM and the budget development exercise.
- Provide advice and solutions to supervisors, managers and directors on all financial and budgeting matters, includes providing hands-on support to help them better understand their operating budgets.
- Prepare and consolidate quarterly operating forecast for all units in Facilities Management. Prepare different financial reports. Analyze reports and records, conduct reviews and make recommendations on accounting issues. Respond to audits with internal and external auditors.
- Plan, schedule, and direct the work of staff in accordance with the unit's goals and objectives.
- Use a variety of software applications such as the University's Financial/Budget Information, Human Resources, spreadsheets, relational databases, financial reporting and other applications in order to compile, manipulate, process, and/or format data and reports.
Five (5) years' related experience
*Internal candidates: Please provide your McGill ID number when applying.*
Please submit your curriculum vitae and cover letter, clearly indicating the reference number, via email to: hr.finserve [at] mcgill.ca