Under the direction of the Dean and Associate VP Macdonald Campus, lead and direct the full range of administrative, financial and operational activities in the Faculty. Oversees financial, human and physical resources. Act as the senior authority in matters of budget and finance priorities in the Faculty. Manage operating, unrestricted (self-financing), restricted (student awards), endowment, and capital funds. Develop policies and procedures that have wide-ranging impact. Act as member of the Dean's Executive team and provide strategic advice.
- Lead and direct operations provided by several service units at Macdonald Campus (Administration, Finance, Human Resources, Staff Housing, Mail and postal outlet, Physical and property resources). Determine strategic direction of these units. Ensure implementation and application of university policies and regulations, or of changes affecting operational effectiveness. Hire, supervise, mentor and evaluate direct reports operating in these service units.
- Provide confidential, strategic advice and expertise to the Dean and her Executive team with regards to a variety of projects, Faculty priorities, and operational or business matters. Participate in Faculty short- and long-term planning process and decisions. Provide actionable recommendations and alternatives on a variety of high level, sensitive dossiers. Write or draft proposals, position papers, and requests for additional resources to the University's senior management.
- Lead and direct the financial infrastructure in the Faculty and AVP Macdonald operations. Establish financial priorities. Make fund allocation decisions to Faculty units and services based on approved Faculty Agreement. Allocations encompass several types of key spending, such as Enrolment-driven, Faculty Overhead, Capital allocations (both start-up and base), and Research support institutional costs. Manage contingency and discretionary funds.
- Spearhead annual budget exercise for both Faculty units and Associate V-P operations. Advise heads of academic units on achieving financial goals and resolving issues with over-expenditures or non compliance with university accounting policies. Monitor financial situation in each unit; control, analyze, review and address problems with unit heads. Determine and provide solutions to keep budgets balanced and in compliance with university or government budget cuts.
- Has responsibility for Staff Housing operations (self-financing area).
- Negotiate terms of agreements and contracts (e.g. Campus Daycare, intercampus mail services, intercampus Shuttle bus service, officials at Ville de Ste-Anne, etc.). Participate in meetings and discussions with student associations or other users and stakeholders on the subject of intercampus shuttle bus service or other administrative matters.
- Work closely and negotiate with Facilities staff, Project managers and the Chair of the Faculty Physical Facilities Sub-committee for the planning, scheduling and logistics of capital alterations and major maintenance or infrastructure projects on Campus. Provide advice or directives to all Building Directors on campus. Act as building director for approximately 40 units at Macdonald Campus.
- Develop relationships, and work closely, with McGill senior staff, external organizations and government officials. Undertake many ad hoc projects as needed.
Eight (8) years' related experience
*Internal candidates: Please provide your McGill ID number when applying.*
Please submit your curriculum vitae and cover letter, clearly indicating the reference number by email to hr.macdonald [at] mcgill.ca