- Acts as resource person regarding academic and administrative policies and procedures. Resolves problems within area of responsibility. Consults relevant documentation and liaises with appropriate internal and external resource persons to obtain and provide information on diverse and complex issues.
- Participates in ensuring the smooth functioning of the unit. Collects and presents factual information relating to area of responsibility, and recommends procedural changes to improve the effective functioning of the unit. Collaborates with supervisor and other staff in establishing work priorities. Follows-up on and ensures appropriate implementation of decisions made by supervisor.
- Receives and provides detailed information and explanations to students. Controls enrolment in courses. Participates in the organization of admissions and registration. Prepares, examines and verifies admissions and registration files related to courses and programs. Completes and approves forms concerning course or program changes, interdepartmental or interuniversity registration, and residency and internship programs.
- Advises students in relation to their files. Resolves problems. Ensures the application of academic regulations and deadlines. According to the needs of the unit, prepares residency rotation and other student activity schedules, contacting the necessary officials to coordinate and verify placement.
- Compiles information, verifies and updates timetables and calendar entries. Coordinates submission to central scheduling system and acts as a contact person for the unit. Maintains a current file of courses, calendars, programs, students and graduates.
- Administers accounts for unit. Prepares budgets or budget proposals. Monitors and reconciles various accounts, statements and reports. Identifies and analyses discrepancies and errors. Ensures that tuition fees and other student fees are properly assessed. Corrects errors and follows up on problems. Records expenses and provides account statements on request.
- Produces reports and statistics. Takes note and types various documents such as correspondence, reports, memos, etc. Updates, prepares and coordinates publication of documents such as publicity brochures, departmental handbooks, and annual reports, including maintaining and updating web pages. Drafts correspondence and other short documents of a complex nature. Formats documents and edits for grammar, spelling and accuracy. Signs certain documents.
- Schedules meetings, contacts participants and books meeting rooms. Assists with preparation of agenda. Attends meetings, takes minutes, and follows up on decisions within area of responsibility.
- Receives and screens telephone calls. Provides information to visitors, determines reason for visit and prepares necessary documents. Directs callers and visitors to appropriate resource persons. Assesses need for intervention of other resource persons and arranges appointments as necessary.
- Coordinates arrangements for events such as symposia and conferences. Makes travel arrangements.
- Ensures inventory and purchases supplies and equipment. Arranges for servicing of office equipment. Sells some items such as course notes and maintains cash box.
The list of duties and responsibilities outlined above is representative and not a complete and detailed list of tasks, which may be performed by an employee whose position has been matched to this generic job description.
DEP (Secretarial/Office Systems)
Four (4) years' related experience
*Internal candidates: Please provide your McGill ID number when applying.*
Please submit your curriculum vitae and cover letter, clearly indicating the reference number:
McGill University, Faculty of Science, HR Services
853 Sherbrooke Street West (Dawson Hall), room 314
apo.science [at] mcgill.ca