Reporting to the Manager, Administration in the department of Biology, Administrative Assistant in Redpath Museum and the Financial Services Team Supervisor, provides direct support and guidance to researchers relating to financial administration of research grants and contracts; functions as researchers' primary contact for all post-award concerns; liaises with Financial Services and other units within the University; plans and organizes financial activities to support the daily operations of the Principal Investigators (PIs), ensuring that financial administration is carried out in accordance with the appropriate regulations and guidelines.
- Understands and applies University and Granting Agency policies and procedures.
- Authority to assess and enforce compliance to policies to ensure required controls are adhered to.
- Liaises with RRF / RGO regarding new funds and renewals.
- Assists researchers with relevant aspects of pre-award (generally items related to financial forecasts when finalizing grant applications).
- Manages and reviews transactions charged to researchers’ grant(s) / fund(s) for reasonableness and compliance to ensure integrity of financial information.
- Assists in the timely resolution of any over-expenditure situations upon request of Financial Services (RRF).
- Sends the Fund Financial Manager (FFM) /Principal Investigator (PI) period fund reconciliations.
- Assesses the overall financial administrative activities of the FFM/PIs and promotes best practices as appropriate.
- Upon request, provides reports / data for Deans, Chairs and FFM/PI’s to assist in the management of research funds within the defined FST jurisdiction.
- Monitors the consolidated financial position of the FST jurisdiction which defines his/her scope of responsibility.
- Assists with the review of the annual agency financial statements (example FORM 300).
- Acts as a facilitator / liaison for the FFM/PI when dealing with central Financial Services.
- Supervises and trains the support staff in the local Financial Service Team (the clerical support staff). Attends McGill’s Finance workshops and information sessions to stay abreast of latest information and assists in keeping Departmental Staff up to date regarding “how to’s” and policy changes.
- Troubleshoots and resolves transactional problems to minimize overall processing turnaround time.
- Provides continuous hands-on training to all academics and support staff on the use of McGill’s financial systems.
- Reviews and approves other documents as determined by the direct supervisors.
- Monitors other finance related documents as directed by supervisors.
Three (3) years' related experience
*Internal candidates: Please provide your McGill ID number when applying.*
Please submit your curriculum vitae and cover letter, clearly indicating the reference number:
McGill University, Faculty of Science, HR Services
853 Sherbrooke Street West (Dawson Hall), room 315
apo.science [at] mcgill.ca