- Types various documents such as correspondence, manuscripts, reports, grant proposals, statistical tables, administrative forms and lists. Following instructions arranges for publication of materials, such as the departmental handbook, web pages and publicity brochures. Formats according to specifications using standard computer applications. Verifies for completeness and proof-reads for grammar and spelling. Composes routine correspondence.
- Maintains supervisor's agenda. Sets up appointments, reminds supervisor of appointments and organizes schedule according to priorities.
- Receives, screens, directs and makes telephone calls; takes and relays messages. Arranges meetings and contacts participants regarding time, place and general purpose of the meeting. Attends meetings, takes and distributes minutes. When requested, schedules and arranges appointments and makes travel arrangements.
- Processes purchase orders, cheque requisitions, travel advances, expense reports, and handles petty cash. Maintains photocopiers, distributes photocopy codes, and allocates charges. Arranges for printing services, and repair or servicing of office equipment.
- Assists in ensuring the smooth functioning of special events such as symposia, conferences, exhibits, and special clinics. Takes reservations and appointments, collects registration fees, and answers general enquiries.
- Performs various office functions such as sorting, filing and retrieving files or documents, photocopying and assembling of documents, posting notices, and receiving, distributing, addressing and sending mail. May act as messenger.
- Uses standard office equipment such as personal computer, typewriter, calculator, photocopier and fax machine.
The list of duties and responsibilities outlined above is representative and not a complete and detailed list of tasks, which may be performed by an employee whose position has been matched to this generic job description.
DEP (Secretarial/Office Systems)
Three (3) years related experience
*Internal candidates: Please provide your McGill ID number when applying.*
Please submit your curriculum vitae and cover letter, clearly indicating the reference number:
McGill University, Faculty of Science, HR Services
853 Sherbrooke Street West (Dawson Hall), room 315
apo.science [at] mcgill.ca