Under the direction of the immediate supervisor, administers accounts. Organizes distributes and verifies the work of others and participates in their training. Acts as resource person and resolves problems. Processes or monitors the processing of financial, accounting and payroll transactions. Examines, analyses and reconciles accounting and financial records as well as documents such as bank statements, expenditures, budgets, loans, and others. Ensures accuracy and compliance with University, government and granting agency guidelines, as well as accounting, reporting and payroll policies and procedures. Performs various administrative tasks according to the needs of the unit.
Major Duties & Responsibilities:
- Administers accounts. Organizes distributes and verifies the work of others and participates in their training. Acts as resource person and resolves problems. Prepares journal and ledger entries. Processes or monitors the processing of financial and accounting transactions. Examines and analyses accounting and financial records and documents such as bank statements, expenditures, budgets, loans and others.
- Ensures accuracy and compliance with University, government and granting agency guidelines, tax laws as well as accounting, reporting and payroll policies and procedures. Maintains up-to-date knowledge of these matters and gives explanations to researchers, staff and agencies.
- Sets up accounts, sub-accounts, and budgets. Approves expenditures, receives funds and processes deposits. Compiles and prepares material to be sent to bank. Reviews, verifies and processes expense reports, requisitions, claims, advances, savings bonds, invoicing and charges.
- Monitors loans. Follows up on missing payments. Advises on and arranges payment schedules.
- Monitors and reconciles various accounts, statements, and reports. Identifies and analyses discrepancies and errors. Makes corrections, processes adjustments and follows up on problems. Audits outstanding items.
- Verifies the completeness and accuracy of documentation.
- Prepares schedules, reports and financial statements. Makes recommendations on budget allocations. Supplies information and documentation to auditors.
- Maintains computerized information systems and participates in their implementation and development to improve efficiency within the unit. Liaises with computer resource persons as required. Sets up and maintains databases and spreadsheets. Enters data and updates information.
- Performs various administrative and clerical tasks according to the needs of the unit. Prepares correspondence related to the duties of the position. Liaises with appropriate resource persons.
- Uses a variety of equipment such as a personal computer, printer, calculator, telephone, photocopier, microfiche reader and fax machine.
The list of duties and responsibilities outlined above is representative and not a complete and detailed list of tasks, which may be performed by an employee whose position has been matched to this generic job description.
Education & Experience:
DEP ( Accounting)
Four (4) years' related experience
Other Qualifying Skills And/Or Abilities:
Knowledge of accounting principles. Demonstrated organizational skills and ability to multi-task to meet set deadlines. Accuracy and attention to detail. Demonstrated ability to work autonomously and as part of a team. Must be client-focused and service-oriented. Demonstrated ability to deal effectively and professionally in sensitive situations. Demonstrated ability to work in a PC environment using word-processing, spread sheets and database packages; Microsoft Outlook, Banner HRIS, FIS and Crystal Reports. English and French, spoken and written.
How to Apply:
*Internal candidates: Please provide your McGill ID number when applying.*
Please submit your curriculum vitae and cover letter, clearly indicating the reference number, via email to: hr.finserve [at] mcgill.ca
Applications must be received no later than September 21, 2017.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
McGill University is committed to equity in employment and diversity. It welcomes applications from indigenous peoples, visible minorities, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities, women, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, and others who may contribute to further diversification.