- Processes loan, returns, renewals and holds of library materials. Issues borrowing cards.
- Organizes daily operation of an area. Organizes, distributes and verifies the work of others, and participates in their training. Resolves problems.
- Receives payments and issue receipts. Maintains a cash register and prepares deposits. Ensures the printing and mailing of overdue notices. Conducts recalls.
- Receives interlibrary loan requests. Verifies availability and location of items. Retrieves and prepares items for loan or forwards requests to appropriate institution.
- Prepares, verifies and follows up on lists and invoices concerning interlibrary loans, overdue and outstanding fines.
- Retrieves, processes and arranges reserve materials.
- Provides information concerning general library policies, procedures, and the location of library resources. Contacts users concerning matters such as overdue and the arrival of holds. Monitors compliance with library regulations.
- Provides basic reference service, such as demonstrating the routine use of the public catalogue and other finding aids. Assists users in locating library materials by performing simple title, author, subject and keyword searches.
The list of duties and responsibilities outlined above is representative and not a complete and detailed list of tasks, which may be performed by an employee whose position has been matched to this generic job description.
DEP (Secretarial/Office systems)
Three (3) years related experience
*Internal candidates: Please provide your McGill ID number when applying.*
Please submit your curriculum vitae and cover letter, clearly indicating the reference number:
McGill University, Libraries, Area Personnel Office
3459 McTavish Street (McLennan Library Building)
application.library [at] mcgill.ca