- Receives, verifies and prioritizes orders for library resources in various formats such as print, electronic, cd-roms, audio-visuals, on-line databases, microforms, music, maps, rare materials, etc.
- Performs pre-order bibliographic searches. Selects best record for ordering/cataloguing purposes and edits, if necessary; creates temporary brief records when no record found. Creates order records, assigns publisher according to guidelines, encumbers funds and places orders. Follows up and amends information in the library database as necessary, e.g. dealer reports, donor information, special handling. Claims unfilled orders according to pre-determined schedules.
- Performs cataloguing duties of library resources with supplied records of various levels. Interprets and applies cataloguing rules and procedures while verifying and editing records in areas of descriptive cataloguing, subject cataloguing, classification and authority work. Provides rush cataloguing.
- Keeps abreast of new developments in the field to upgrade skills and knowledge.
- Participates in the development and implementation of projects, work methods and procedures; participates in the development to improve efficiency within the unit. Acts as resource person within area of expertise.
- Attends and participates in departmental meetings; records daily and tabulates monthly personal work statistics; keeps manuals and procedures up-to-date
The list of duties and responsibilities outlined above is representative and not a complete and detailed list of tasks, which may be performed by an employee whose position has been matched to this generic job description.
DEC III (Documentation & Library Systems)
Four (4) years' related experience
Please submit your cover letter and curriculum vitae, clearly indicating the reference number, to Staffing:
McGill University, Human Resources (Staffing)
688 Sherbrooke Street West, suite 1520
staffing.hr [at] mcgill.ca
The deadline to apply for this position is April 24, 2018 at 5:00 PM.
*Current employees: please indicate your McGill ID number in your application.*
We thank all applicants for their interest in McGill University. However, Staffing will only contact applicants selected for an interview.