- Participates in projects and experiments in the field of engineering, metallurgy, woodworking, etc. Discusses the orientation and technical demands of the projects. Reviews, selects and modifies methodology. Assumes responsibility for the technical aspects in the execution of these projects.
- Analyzes, interprets and discusses apparatus design submissions. Designs, constructs, assembles and tests various parts, equipment and apparatus involving plastic, wood, metal, glass, ceramics, etc. Programs and operates computer controlled milling machines or lathes, etc. used to produce complex objects. Utilizes techniques such as sanding, sawing, milling, welding, shearing, grinding and lathing. Develops new methodology when required.
- Acts as resource person, resolves problems and instructs others. Provides technical guidance and assistance concerning work methods, the use of equipment and techniques, and the analysis of results.
- Prepares, assembles, installs, operates and distributes the equipment and materials required for shop or laboratory. Ensures the proper use of equipment and execution of projects, the accuracy of completed work and that safety procedures are followed.
- Coordinates the activities of a teaching laboratory. Confers with professors concerning the scope and objectives of teaching laboratory sessions. Organizes laboratory schedules. Assesses equipment needs. Coordinates provision of equipment and materials. Oversees set-up of equipment. Liaises between staff and students
- Participates in lab instruction of courses and in the development and the selection of teaching aids. Performs administrative tasks related to examinations such as arranging for invigilation and compiling grades. Participates in the correction of students' written work, such as laboratory reports and assignments.
- Maintains equipment and performs repairs. Arranges for servicing.
- Maintains inventory. Recommends and purchases equipment and material.
- Compiles data. Prepares reports. Analyzes and discusses results and their interpretation with others. Maintains records and files.
- Keeps abreast of new developments in the field to update skills and knowledge.
The list of duties and responsibilities outlined above is representative and not a complete and detailed list of tasks, which may be performed by an employee whose position has been matched to this generic job description.
DEC III (Electronics Technology or Mechanical Engineering Technology)
Two (2) years related experience
*Internal candidates: Please provide your McGill ID number when applying.*
Please submit your electronic application via the web at https://www.hreng.mcgill.ca/applicant click on "Application Form" and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter as one document.