McGill University is seeking a University Registrar and an exceptional leader for Enrolment Services, one who not only exemplifies integrity and credibility, but one who is visionary, creative, and who places student success and well-being together with academic mission of the University at the heart of her or his work.
Reporting to the Deputy Provost (Student Life and Learning), the EDES is an executive team member in the division of Student Life and Learning, is the University Registrar, and leads Enrolment Services (ES), all as a senior administrative leader within the University. Mandated to implement Senate-approved policies, provincial rules and legislation, the Principal’s Priorities, the University’s academic plan, the McGill Commitment, and the University-wide SEM Plan, ES responsibilities span the academic and student life of the University. The EDES is also responsible for the archival integrity, accuracy, and maintenance of student records in perpetuity.
The EDES must provide superior leadership to guide Enrolment Services and support other administrative and academic units to meet a broad array of outcomes, both strategic and operational, framed by the above mandate. Putting the needs of students at the center of planning and decision-making, the EDES ensures that student well-being and success are supported by ES.
The EDES is expected to be a strategic thinker, able to turn strategy into operational plans and action, nurture effective relationships with colleagues across the University and in local Montreal and professional communities, provide expert advice in areas pertinent to the role, and must be well suited to sustaining a collaborative and innovative culture within ES.
Assisted by a senior team of Associate Registrars, the EDES leads a team of approximately 125 full-time employees who provide services to academic units and to students throughout their time at McGill and once they are alumni. Overseeing an annual budget of approximately $8.5M, the EDES uses allocated resources effectively to deliver a broad range of services. The EDES must also be entrepreneurial, generating additional new annual revenue to ensure ES is financially sustainable.
The ideal candidate will have a relevant graduate degree, fluency in English and French, have a minimum of seven years of experience as a senior academic leader, demonstrate experience in all areas of responsibility indicated above, including developing enrolment strategies and achieving institutional enrolment goals, as well as experience in successfully implementing major systems. The ideal candidate will have experience effectively leading and supporting the development of large and diverse teams and will demonstrate political astuteness, have excellent judgment, and demonstrate success aligning team responsibilities with organizational priorities. Experience as a registrar at a large and complex institution would be preferred.
ES operational responsibilities include, among others:
- Developing the strategic enrolment management plan for the University with the Deputy Provost, Dean of Graduate and Post-Doctoral Studies, and Executive Director, Analysis, Planning, and Budget, and setting multi-year enrolment targets with the Deans;
- Meeting annual enrolment targets in collaboration with the Faculties;
- Recruiting and admitting International and domestic students;
- Providing administrative management of the program and course offering;
- Managing and officially recording all degree requirements;
- Implementing and maintaining the degree audit system (e.g., DegreeWorks);
- Publishing the e-Calendar (the official record of policies, programs, courses and regulations at the University);
- Managing course registration, course and classroom scheduling, exam scheduling and invigilation;
- Managing the official student record;
- Maintaining accurate enrolment data;
- Reporting enrolment accurately to the provincial government for university funding purposes;
- Planning graduation and convocation ceremonies;
- Conducting additional activities and initiatives such as : coordination of McGill’s Open House; the McGill Summer Academy; campus tour programs;
- Overseeing access to student-related systems as Trustee of student data (e.g., Banner, Minerva, uApply) and approving the use of student data by various systems and people.
About Enrolment Services:
Enrolment Services (ES), a unit in Student Life and Learning (SLL), supports students’ achievement of their educational goals, the objectives of McGill’s academic and service units, and the University’s mission by designing and delivering high quality enrolment and registrarial services to support the objectives of a broad range of people and organizations. Privileged by its three-dimensional and pan-university perspective, ES is engaged in many strategic and operational initiatives, including the development and implementation of the Strategic Enrolment Management plan, the implementation of the McGill Commitment, and is committed to enriching the diversity of the McGill student body through collaborative community engagement, recruitment, and outreach initiatives. It is a community of change leaders who are dedicated to continuous improvement by leveraging its creativity and expertise, supporting professional development, and cultivating positive and productive relationships within the McGill community and beyond.
How to Apply:
Please submit your curriculum vitae and cover letter, via email to: hr.dpsll [at] mcgill.ca
McGill University is committed to equity in employment and diversity. It welcomes applications from indigenous peoples, visible minorities, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities, women, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities and others who may contribute to further diversification.