The Chemical Safety module of myLab provides researchers with efficient, centralized web-based tools that emphasize safety, compliance with government regulations, ease-of-use and sustainability. Other features include:
- A system for managing WHMIS controlled products or other hazardous chemicals, including purchasing, inventory and waste disposal controls for McGill laboratories
- Integration with McGill MarketPlace
- Integration with 3E Online for Safety Data Sheet (SDS) management. This provides access to their database of over 3 million electronic SDS’. To view their database collection, you must first login to your chemical inventory on myLab.
- The myLab system helps build a safer research environment at McGill by providing emergency response units with immediate access to critical information in the event of an accident or emergency. Fire department, police, ambulance services and other first responders require access to information on hazardous materials stored at the location of an accident or emergency before entering the site.
- Accurate documentation and up-to-date chemical inventories will help labs comply with regulations regarding labeling of controlled products, chemical compatibility and storage.
- Better chemical inventory management will discourage over purchasing, reduce waste, space demands, and costs to the University and help eliminate deteriorating chemicals from lab inventories.
- The web-based system allows laboratories to share their inventories of chemicals within departments.
- Decommissioning of labs can be labour-intensive and costly for departments. Better management with myLab means simpler and safer clean-up operations.
If you do not have an existing chemical inventory in Excel format, please complete the Chemical Inventory Excel template and send it to the parisa.parang [at] mcgill.ca (subject: Chemical%20Inventory%20template) (Hazardous Materials Officer).
For more information on the myLab Chemical Safety module and the Chemical Safety User Guide, see the myLab Service Description.