Summer Undergraduate Research - Information Session (for Engineering and Science students):
Date/Time: November 8, 2017 at 5:30pm
Room: Bronfman Building, Room 422
SURE International Presentation
- What is SURE International?
- Travel Stipend Applications
- Funding Opportunities
- International SURE Opportunities
What is SURE International?
Students who have secured a summer research internship abroad can apply for the SURE International Travel Stipend which is made possible by the Faculty’s generous donors as well as McGill University in support of undergraduate student research abroad. Students who are selected for this travel stipend will receive either an Antje Graupe Pryor International SURE Award, a Schull Yang International Experience Award or Enhanced Educational Opportunities (EEO) funding. More information about these different types of funding can be found under “Funding Opportunities”. Please note that by applying for the SURE International Travel Stipend all applicants will automatically be considered for all available awards. Upon successful completion of the research internship, the SURE International experience will be added to the student’s co-curricular record.
Travel Stipend Applications
Application period: March 1st – March 31st. Selected candidates will be contacted by April 10th.
Applications can be submitted here.
For more information, please contact the McGill Engineering Student Centre (FDA 22) or sure-info.engineering [at] mcgill.ca
The SURE International Travel Stipend is funded through different types of awards. All awards allocated by the faculty are merit-based awards. Only one application for the SURE International Travel Stipend is required in order to be considered for the available awards. The exception is the EEO need-based funding for which a separate application is necessary as it is overseen by the Scholarships and Student Aid Office (see information below).
The Antje Graupe Pryor International SURE Awards
Established in 2015 by a generous gift from the late Werner Graupe and the Antje Graupe Pryor Foundation. Awarded by the Faculty of Engineering to Engineering students at McGill who opt to conduct their research in the European Union and who want to get a head start on graduate work or future research careers. Award amounts vary.
Electrical and Computer Engineering Department student Tyler Manning-Dahan explains the impact that his internship in Germany had on his life.
McGill International Experience Awards (MIEA)
McGill International Experience Awards support McGill engineering students who are accepted to participate in a summer research internship outside of Canada. Award amounts vary.
For more information about the McGill International Experience Awards, click here.
Enhanced Educational Opportunities (EEO)
Enhanced Educational Opportunities (EEOs) are high quality mobility or work experience opportunities that take place outside of the classroom; they foster self-development and can help students transition successfully to the workplace or graduate studies. There are two types of EEOs:
· Merit-based funding: The faculty received funding to enhance and expand the Enriched Educational Opportunities (EEOs) offered through the Faculty of Engineering. Award amounts vary.
· Need-based funding: The University has provided the Scholarships & Student Aid Office with special funding to pilot an EEO Bursary Program. The program will help students with the additional costs of these extra opportunities. Bursaries are non-repayable forms of financial assistance based on demonstrated financial need. In order to be eligible for this bursary program a SURE International Travel Stipend application is necessary, as the faculty will then provide applicants with an approval letter that it is a research internship that can be added to the co-curricular record. The Scholarships & Student Aid Office will ask for this supporting documentation to determine if applicants are eligible for the EEO Bursary Program. Please find more information about eligibility and the application process for need-based EEO funding here or on the Scholarships & Student Aid Office website.