Waiting for news?
- You can check your application status and see if any supporting documents are missing on the Minerva website. During peak periods, it can take time to process your uploaded documents. The posting date you'll see in Minerva may be different than the date of receipt.
- If you have not received an admission decision from us by the end of April, please contact our admissions staff.
- Our primary means of communication with you is through email. If you get a new email account, or your mailing address changes, you can update Minerva anytime. Go to: Minerva > Personal Menu > Addresses and Phones.
If you have received an offer of admission, welcome to our school!
You may be wondering what to do next and whether this is the right university for you. We've put together a short guide to help you decide and, if you choose McGill, start preparing for your first year.
Step 1: Join an information session
If you're undecided or simply want to know more about enrolling, sign up for a newly-admitted student event or webinar. You can also have a candid conversation with our student ambassadors anytime about their experience at McGill. Follow these links:
Step 2: Accept our offer (April-May)
If you've decided to study with us, confirm your acceptance as soon as possible. If you don't respond by the deadline, you may lose your place. If you have any trouble accepting, email undergraduateadmissions [dot] music [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Music Admissions).
- Acceptance deadlines: May 15th (Sunday) for most students. If you have received a scholarship offer, accept by the deadline in your scholarship notice.
- To accept our offer: Log into Minerva, go to the Application Status page, select the application and click the "Accept this offer" link. You will need to make a deposit of $400 (non-refundable) by credit card.
- After you accept: Verify your Minerva checklist and send us any missing documents (final transcripts, etc.).
Step 3: International students: Get ready to travel (April-May)
Step 4: Check out housing options and myAccess (April-May)
- Housing: If you want to live in a McGill residence, apply by June 6th. La Citadelle, Carrefour Sherbrooke and Royal Victoria College (RVC) are literally next to the Schulich School of Music, and New Residence Hall is down the street. You can find details about all housing options, on and off campus, on McGill's housing website.
- myAccess: Offered by the Office for Students with Disabilities, myAccess provides support if you have difficulties or impairments (medical/mental health conditions, learning disabilities, etc.) that you feel might hinder your academic performance at McGill. You can get in touch with them as soon as you accept your offer, or once you have started your program.
Step 5: Apply for financial aid (April-May)
Step 6: Sign up for practical lessons (by May 15)
- By May 15th, you'll need to submit your practical instruction teacher preferences.
Step 7: Start preparing for placement exams and ensemble auditions (June-September)
- Ensemble auditions: You'll need to audition in early September for ensembles, and you are responsible for checking your own ensemble requirements on your program page. Once you've done this, look over ensemble descriptions and audition schedules so you'll be prepared when you get here.
- Placement exams: At the end of the summer, all new and transferring students take placement exams (even if you've taken similar courses before). See our placement exams web page for details and start preparing using the placement exam samples as a guide. The answer keys will allow you to assess your performance and identify areas to study further. Websites, books, and other study materials are suggested for each test to help you improve your performance before the August exams:
Step 8: Register (June) and get settled
Registration starts in June. For this step, you're ready to move to our Student Resources section and read through our guide for 1st year students. You'll find everything you need to know to get started, including:
- How and when to register
- How to get your McGill ID card
- Important dates (June-September)
- Orientation and advising day
- Ensemble audition information
- Student community resources (McGill undergraduate student association, etc.)
We're looking forward to seeing you in August!
Photo by Tam Lan Truong: Schulich School of Music B.Mus. student Grace Takeda with her viola.