Screening material (due by December 1st)
Female voice applicants must submit a video screening recording for pre-selection by December 1st. Upload screening material in avi, mov, mp4 or wmv format.
- 5 contrasting pieces, in four major languages, representing both operatic and song repertoire.
On-campus audition dates 2018:
- Check uApply for your individual audition date, time, location and accompanist information.
- You must email graduateadmissions.music [at] mcgill.ca (our admissions staff) to confirm whether or not you will attend.
Opera and Voice M.Mus. on-campus auditions will take place between Friday, January 26th to Sunday, January 28th.
To Prepare for Your On-Campus Audition:
- Check your audition repertoire requirements. Choose material that you are comfortable playing and that showcases your musicianship and technical proficiency.
- Prepare to be interviewed about your experience and your educational and professional goals.
- If you are coming from outside Canada, check with Immigration Canada for travel document requirements.
On Audition Day:
If you are experiencing travel delays on the day of your audition or you are unable to attend your audition, please email our melanie.collins [at] mcgill.ca (Recruitment Office)
- A minimum of one hour prior to your audition, you must check-in at the Strathcona Music Building lobby (555 Sherbrooke Street West, Montreal, Quebec).
*Check-in is also mandatory for current students.
- Practice rooms are available during the audition period.
- During check-in, directions to your audition location and practice rooms will be provided.
Tours will be given by the Schulich Ambassadors during the lunch break.
Details will be available at the check-in desk.
- Accompanists are provided free of charge for your audition time only.
- Rehearsal costs vary and are your responsibility.
- Contact your accompanist at least 48 hours before your audition to arrange rehearsal times, provide music, etc. (see uApply).
You can also bring your own accompanists, at your expense.
- You must bring a list of pieces to be performed, including études and ensemble music.
- The panel may interrupt your audition at any moment in a piece to ensure that auditions proceed on schedule.
Where to Stay:
Book a hotel in Montreal:
Special accommodations have been arranged with four downtown hotels. All hotels are within walking distance of the Schulich School of Music.
Special room prices are available to the McGill University community: staff, students, visitors, etc.
If you are making reservations by phone, be sure to mention McGill University.
If you cannot participate in on-campus auditions due to travel constraints, you must upload a video recording by December 15th which will be considered your final audition.
- Make sure the sound quality on your video recording is excellent. Re-record a piece if it does not sound clear. Your recordings should be less than 8 months old.
- You can submit recordings from live performances.
- We accept avi, mov, mp4 or wmv formats.
- Follow the instructions to upload your video by December 15th. Upload times depend on file size and speed of service provider.
- The repertoire for on-campus and recorded auditions is the same.
Prepare 30 minutes of memorized material from which the audition panel will make a selection. At least one aria must have significant recitative and one aria should be in English. Include pieces in English, French, German and Italian.
If you want to focus on opera repertoire, prepare 6 from the first 7 categories:
- 1 baroque aria (Pre-Gluck)
- 1 aria by Mozart
- 1 aria from the 19th century
- 1 aria from the 20th or 21st centuries
- 1 aria of choice in a language not represented from the above categories
- 1 short mélodie
- 1 short lied
- optional additional selection from any operetta or musical theatre piece
If you want to focus on voice/recital repertoire, prepare:
- 1 opera aria
- 1 oratorio aria
- 1 aria of choice
- 2 mélodies
- 2 lied
- 1 song written after 1960
- 1 song of choice