New students: See your orientation guide for registration dates and tips.
All students: You will find information about registering and requesting practical instruction below.
All Music returning students should register for the new academic year's Fall and Winter courses in April. Most courses have limited enrollment and fill up quickly.
- Late registration fees will be charged if you do not register for at least one course by August 14. You can still change your courses at no charge before the add/drop deadline. Visit McGill's Student Accounts website for more information about registration fees.
- You can select one elective course per term as a satisfactory/unsatisfactory (S/U) option. An S/U course impacts scholarship eligibility.
Visit Academic Resources for more information about S/U courses, add/drop and late withdrawals.
Students enrolled in the Bachelor of Music or the Licentiate in Music are not permitted to register for MUAR courses. MUAR courses cannot be used as credits towards the Schulich School of Music's programs.
Registration opening dates 2017-2018:
- Students entering U3: April 4, 2017
- Students entering U2: April 5, 2017
- Students entering U1: April 6, 2017
- Newly admitted students: See your orientation guide
- Late registration begins: August 15, 2017
How to register
You must register via Minerva, except for:
- MUIN lessons/voice coaching. Click on the "Practical Instruction" tab at the top of this page for information.
- MUCO composition tutorials: Composition students will be contacted directly regarding tutorial teacher preferences and registration procedures.
You can use Minerva to view the class schedule, register, apply for graduation, update personal information, etc.
Visit McGill's Important Dates website for more information on key academic dates relating to add/drop deadline, semester start/end date and examination period.
Visit your Program page for detailed course information and program requirements.
- Instrumental lessons and voice coaching at the Schulich School of Music are known as "practical instruction."
- All undergraduate students are assigned a practical instruction teacher upon submission of an online practical instruction request.
- Years of lesson entitlement by program and practical instruction tuition fees can be found in the McGill eCalendar.
How to submit your practical instruction teacher request
Submit an online practical instruction request form by: May 15, 2017.
- If you miss the deadline, submit the form anyway in order for your teacher to be assigned. A $50 late fee will be charged to your tuition account.
- When filling out the online form:
- Use your official McGill email address (@mail.mcgill.ca).
- Check your information carefully prior to submitting your request. If changes are needed after your request has been submitted, e-mail: teacherpreference [at] music [dot] mcgill [dot] ca
- Select the number of terms of lessons you are requesting. First-year students usually select both fall and winter terms since teacher assignments are done for the academic year. Returning students who wish to be assigned different teachers for fall and winter semesters must submit two separate online requests.
- Indicate up to three teacher preferences from the teaching staff list on the form. You must study with a Schulich School of Music teacher. We cannot guarantee your first choice of teacher. If you have no preference, select "No Teacher Preference" as your 1st choice.
Practical instruction registration
- You do not register directly for practical instruction.
- Once you submit the online form, the Department of Performance selects your teacher and registers you by the first week of September. Each teacher is assigned a specific MUIN section number. You can view your teacher assignment in the Minerva student menu (click on Registration Menu, then Step 4: View Student Schedule by Course Section).
- Report any discrepancies to teacherpreference [at] music [dot] mcgill [dot] ca