At the time of application you must:
- Have a minimum CGPA of 3.00 or greater
- Be currently registered as a full-time student in the McGill BA, BSW or B.Th. degree. (See course load)
- Have completed at least 12 graded McGill credits.
NOTE: If your Minerva record reports 12 or more graded credits at the end of Fall, this CGPA will be used to determine your eligibility. Mid-term grades WILL NOT be included in the calculation of your CGPA to help you reach 3.00.
At the start of your exchange term you must:
- Have a minimum CGPA of 3.00 or greater
- Be currently registered as a full-time student in the McGill BA, BSW or B. Th. degree. (See course load).
- Have completed at least 24 graded McGill credits
- Have a minimum of 30 credits remaining to complete for your McGill degree at the end of the Winter term. To be eligible for a McGill exchange, the selection process requires that you be flexible with the term that you study away. Therefore, if you are in your final year of study, you must have sufficient credits remaining to be a full-time student in either the following Fall or Winter terms.
Exchange Application Deadline
- Fall 2018 and/or Winter 2019: January 15, 2018
- Faculty of Arts students can select universities indicated as “General” or "Arts" on the listings by continent available here.
Missed the boat to go on exchange? Now's your 2nd chance!
Application period for 2nd round: May 1st to June 8th
The list of institutions available for the 2nd round will be posted shortly!
Before beginning an application, you should carefully review the Plan & Prepare information to help you plan your study abroad experience.
Exchange Application Procedures
Please note the following:
- If you do not submit all the required information by the deadline you have been given, your application WILL BE CANCELLED.
- If you have a “HOLD” on your Minerva record, this may prevent the processing of your study away application. Contact Student Accounts (514-398-3900) or Service Point (514-398-7878) immediately to resolve any outstanding HOLDS.
- Check your McGill email account regularly for important notices as this is our official means of communication during the application process and during your term away.
Step 1: You must attend a mandatory Arts OASIS information session.
Step 2: All applicants must submit their completed Degree Planning Worksheet for Study Away to Arts OASIS by email attachment: to (studyaway.arts [at] mcgill.ca) in the following "Subject" format: Degree Planning Worksheet Family Name/First Name; Student Number. This must be done concurrently with "Step 3" and by the McGill Exchange application deadline.
Step 3: Submit your Exchange application on MINERVA by the McGill Exchange application deadline and ensure that you are selecting a choice that is listed as “General” or "Arts" on the listings by continent available here. It is important that you read about other important instructions provided here.
- Read the information on McGill's International Education website.
- To begin an exchange application, you must go to the Minerva Exchange Request Form. To access the request form, log on to Minerva and navigate to: Student Menu > Student Records Menu > Exchange/Study Away Menu > Request for Exchange.
- Faculty of Arts students are eligible to select universities indicated as “General” or “Arts” ONLY.
- A $150.00 non-refundable application fee will be charged to your student account.
- Students are required to submit a statement of purpose. This text area allows 4000 characters (about one page single spaced). We recommend that the statement of purpose be written before hand in a separate text editor (e.g. MS Word) to track the length of the essay, and to avoid being timed out and potentially losing work.
- IMPORTANT: Minerva will time out within 90 minutes of no activity so have your information ready electronically to paste into the form so you don’t lose your work and miss the deadline!
Step 4: All Fall 2017 grades must appear on your Minerva record before a decision can be made on your application.
If your Minerva record reports 12 or more graded credits at the end of Fall 2017, this CGPA will be used to determine your eligibility. Mid-term grades WILL NOT be included in the calculation of your CGPA to help you achieve a 3.00.
IF YOU ARE COMPLETING YOUR FIRST TERM OF STUDY AT McGILL AND you will not have 12 graded credits at the end of Fall 2017 because you are registered in one or more full year courses (D1/D2) that end in April 2018: You must ask your course instructor to send an email from their McGill email account confirming your mid-term grade for each full year course by Monday, January 15, 2018 4 pm to studyaway.arts [at] mcgill.ca in the following “Subject” format: “Grade Confirmation in COURSE NUMBER for LAST NAME/ FIRST NAME; STUDENT NUMBER”.
Be sure to make arrangements with your course instructor well in advance of the deadline. If we do not receive mid-term grades before the Monday, January 15, 2018 4 pm deadline, your request may be refused.
Step 5: In order to be considered for nomination to the host partner, you must first be granted Faculty Approval by Arts OASIS. Your application will be evaluated for the required academic criteria and will be granted a status of “Approved” or “Not Approved” in the “Faculty Application Status” field of your Minerva Exchange Application. This is the first level of approval.
Step 6: Once the “Application Status” field of your Minerva Exchange Application reads “Approved”, your application will be reviewed by Service Point. Check your McGill email account for updates to the status of your Exchange application.
Once you receive the McGill nomination you will be emailed instructions on how to submit your application to the host university. Refer to the Apply to Host School tab at the International Education website.
NOTE: When you accept McGill's nomination to participate in an exchange program, your record will be updated to non-resident status for the equivalent McGill term(s) you will be away. This means that if you are already enrolled for courses at McGill during your exchange term(s), these courses will be dropped, your transcript will indicate "Term Away/Exchange", and you will not be able to register for courses in that term(s).
Please also note the following:
- due to limited exchange places, you may be nominated to a host institution or term which you did not select in your application.
- students will receive only ONE nomination per year.
- nominations cannot be deferred
The Minerva Transfer Credit Assessment Form must be completed by all McGill students completing courses at another university. This form will be used to evaluate the courses you are taking at the host school for McGill course equivalencies, course approval and transfer credit. Once your study away application has been granted the status of 'Approved', you can begin the course equivalence process by consulting the McGill Course Equivalency Database. Refer to “Minerva Transfer Credit Assessment Form Instructions and Deadlines” on our Transfer Credit Policy for complete details on the process.
Once you register for courses at the host university, the Minerva Transfer Credit Assessment Form must accurately reflect the courses you are registered for at the host university.
Remember to keep all course materials (exam questions, graded work, methods of evaluation, reading lists, etc.) since McGill advisers may require this additional information.
Transfer credit for courses approved on the Minerva Transfer Credit Assessment Form will only be processed once McGill receives an official transcript of completed studies (including course numbers and individual final grades) directly from the host school to McGill’s Enrolment Services immediately upon completion of studies.
Refer to “Transcript from host school” on our Transfer Credit Policy for important information on final official transcripts and deadline dates.
If approved for a Study Away term outside Canada you are required to attend a mandatory Pre-Departure Orientation session.
If approved for a Exchange Program outside Canada you are required to fill out the Minerva Travel Registry Form. You will have access to this Form once your McGill record indicates “Term Away” for the specified term(s).