McGill Information Technology (IT) Resources
McGill University offers a variety of Information Technology resources open to students, faculty, staff, and other members of the McGill community. Please see the following sections, the For your Information Technology (IT) Needs section, and the IT Services website for further details.
All students are assigned a McGill Email Address (usually in the form of email@example.com) and are given a McGill email mailbox. You can view your McGill Email Address and set your McGill Password on Minerva (www.mcgill.ca/minerva), under the Personal Menu.
Email sent to your McGill Email Address is an official means of communication between McGill University and its students. As with all official University communications, it is your responsibility to ensure you read and act upon University emails in a timely fashion. If you choose to forward University email to another email mailbox, it is your responsibility to ensure that the alternate email mailbox is valid.
You should read and familiarize yourself with the policies on Responsible Use of McGill Information Technology Resources and Email Communications with Students, found under Information Technology on the University Secretariat website at www.mcgill.ca/secretariat/policies/informationtechnology. For more information on email for students, refer to www.mcgill.ca/it and see For your Information Technology (IT) Needs.
Minerva is McGill's web-based information system serving applicants, students, staff, and faculty. To access Minerva, go to www.mcgill.ca/minerva and log in. Once logged in, you can:
- Apply to McGill and view your application status
- View class schedules, including course descriptions and spaces available in course sections
- Register and make course changes
- Change your major or minor program (not all faculties)
- View your unofficial transcript and degree evaluation reports
- View your McGill login information to access the Internet and email
- View your Permanent Code, citizenship, and Quebec residency status and fee information
- Update personal information such as address, telephone number, and emergency contacts
- Update your preferred first name
- Submit an online course evaluation
- Submit an application to participate in an exchange program (not all faculties)
- Apply to graduate
- View graduation status and convocation details
- Order official transcripts
- Retrieve tax receipts
For information on logging in to the Minerva website, visit our IT Services website at www.mcgill.ca/it and select Logins and Passwords.
McGill's portal, myMcGill, gives students and staff a personalized interface to the University's information systems.
myMcGill is a collection of useful links and offers an integrated web experience with a single sign-on (SSO) to several McGill web systems. This allows you to access multiple McGill systems without being prompted for additional logins.
Systems that you can access through the portal are:
- McGill home page (www.mcgill.ca)
- Visual Schedule Builder
To access myMcGill, click Quick Links, available at the top of any McGill web page, and then click myMcGill, or go to https://mymcgill.mcgill.ca. Sign in with your McGill Username and McGill Password.