UNIONIZED POSITION COVERED BY THE MUNACA-PSAC BARGAINING UNIT
Under the direction of the immediate supervisor, administers accounts. Acts as resource person and resolves problems. Processes or monitors the processing of financial, accounting and payroll transactions. Examines, analyses and reconciles accounting and financial records as well as documents such as bank statements, expenditures, budgets, loans, and others. Ensures accuracy and compliance with University, government and granting agency guidelines, as well as accounting, reporting and payroll policies and procedures. Performs various administrative tasks according to the needs of the unit.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Administers accounts. Acts as resource person and resolves problems. Prepares journal and ledger entries. Processes or monitors the processing of financial and accounting transactions. Examines and analyses accounting and financial records and documents such as bank statements, expenditures, budgets, loans and others
- Ensures accuracy and compliance with University, government and granting agency guidelines, tax laws as well as accounting, reporting and payroll policies and procedures. Maintains up-to-date knowledge of these matters and gives explanations to researchers, staff and agencies.
- Sets up accounts, sub-accounts, and budgets. Approves expenditures, receives funds and processes deposits. Compiles and prepares material to be sent to bank. Reviews, verifies and processes expense reports, requisitions, claims, advances, savings bonds, invoicing and charges.
- Monitors and reconciles various accounts, statements, and reports. Identifies and analyses discrepancies and errors. Makes corrections, processes adjustments and follows up on problems. Audits outstanding items.
- Verifies the completeness and accuracy of documentation.
- Maintains computerized information systems and participates in their implementation and development to improve efficiency within the unit. Liaises with computer resource persons as required. Sets up and maintains databases and spreadsheets. Enters data and updates information.
- Performs various administrative and clerical tasks according to the needs of the unit. Prepares correspondence related to the duties of the position. Liaises with appropriate resource persons.
The list of duties and responsibilities outlined above is representative and not a complete and detailed list of tasks, which may be performed by an employee whose position has been matched to this generic job description.
Education and Experience:
Three (3) years related experience
Other Qualifying Skills and Abilities:
Demonstrated knowledge and experience with basic accounting principles. Must be client-focused and service oriented with a proven ability to provide excellent customer service to a variety of clients (academics, students and administrative staff). Demonstrated ability to take initiative and problem-solve. Ability to perform under pressure and be resourceful. Demonstrated organizational skills with the ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and prioritize work. Strong attention to detail. Excellent interpersonal skills with a proven ability to work autonomously and as a member of a team. Demonstrated ability to work in a computerized environment using Word, Excel, Outlook, Banner (FIS), Minerva and Crystal Reports. Demonstrated ability to clearly transmit and receive information with excellent communication skills in both English and French (spoken and written).
How to Apply:
Please submit your cover letter and curriculum vitae, clearly indicating the reference number, to the Faculty of Science:
McGill University, Faculty of Science, HR Services
853 Sherbrooke Street West (Dawson Hall), room 314
apo.science [at] mcgill.ca
The deadline to apply for this position is February 25, 2020 at 5:00 PM.
*Current employees: please indicate your McGill ID number in your application.*
We thank all applicants for their interest in McGill University. However, the Faculty of Science will only contact applicants selected for an interview.
The masculine is used to lighten the text, without prejudice to the feminine form.
In order to maintain internal priority, McGill employees must apply within the delays specified in the MUNACA collective agreement for positions covered by the collective agreement or according to the personnel policies for positions covered by the personnel policies.
McGill University hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community. We welcome applications from racialized persons/visible minorities, women, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, and persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, as well as from all qualified candidates with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. McGill implements an employment equity program and encourages members of designated groups to self-identify. Persons with disabilities who anticipate needing accommodations for any part of the application process may contact, in confidence, accessibilityrequest.hr [at] mcgill.ca or 514-398-3711.