UNIONIZED POSITION COVERED BY THE MUNACA-PSAC BARGAINING UNIT
Under the direction of the immediate supervisor, provides administrative and secretarial support. Participates in ensuring the smooth functioning of the unit's operations. Acts as resource person for policies and procedures. Administers unit accounts. Assists in the organization of unit activities. Responsible for documents and files of the unit. Maintains computerized information systems.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Acts as resource person regarding the unit's policies and procedures. Resolves problems within area of responsibility. Consults relevant documentation and liaises with appropriate resource persons to obtain and provide information on diverse and complex issues.
- Participates in ensuring the smooth functioning of the unit. Recommends procedural changes to enable unit to function more effectively. Collaborates with supervisor and others in establishing work priorities. Follows up on and ensures appropriate implementation of decisions made by supervisor.
- Updates, prepares and coordinates publication of documents such as publicity brochures, departmental handbooks, and annual reports. Drafts correspondence and other short documents of a complex nature. Formats documents and edits for grammar, spelling and accuracy. Takes notes and types various documents such as correspondence, reports, memos. Signs certain documents.
- Maintains supervisor's agenda. Sets up appointments, reminds supervisor of appointments and organizes schedule according to priorities.
- Provides information to callers and visitors. Determines reason for call or visit and prepares necessary documents. Directs callers and visitors to appropriate resource persons. Assesses need for intervention of other resource persons and arranges appointments as necessary.
- Screens and sorts mail. Prepares files attaching appropriate supporting documentation and researching information as required. Responds to requests within area of responsibility. Notes required actions and ensures follow-up.
- Schedules meetings, contacts participants and books meeting rooms. Assists with preparation of agenda. Attends meetings, takes minutes, and follows up on decisions within area of responsibility.
- Coordinates arrangements for events such as symposia and conferences. Makes travel arrangements.
- Uses a variety of software. Maintains computerized information systems and participates in their development to improve efficiency within the unit. Acts as a resource person concerning the use of software. Explains and demonstrates the use of software, resolves problems within area of expertise, and liaises with computer resource persons as required. Maintains and updates administrative files. Maintains filing systems and arranges for archiving.
- Ensures inventory and purchases supplies and equipment. Arranges for servicing of office equipment. Sells some items such as course notes and maintains cash box.
- Uses standard office equipment such as personal computer, typewriter, calculator, photocopier and fax machine.
The list of duties and responsibilities outlined above is representative and not a complete and detailed list of tasks, which may be performed by an employee whose position has been matched to this generic job description.
DEP (Secretarial/Office Systems)
Four (4) years’ related experience
Other Qualifying Skills and/or Abilities:
Excellent organizational skills and proven ability to multi-task in a team-oriented and complex office environment. Excellent writing skills in English. Must possess strong customer focus and service oriented skills with a proven ability to clearly and effectively receive, retain and transmit information at all levels within the organization. Demonstrated ability to provide support for various administrative activities; maintain paper and electronic filing systems; manage inventory; proven ability to take initiative, problem-solve in area of responsibility and to multi-task and prioritize to meet multiple deadlines. Demonstrated discretion in dealing with confidential information. Proven ability to work in a PC environment using word-processing, spreadsheets, databases, presentation software, email, Banner (FIS, SIS), Minerva, and the Internet. French spoken and written is an asset.
How to Apply:
Please submit your cover letter and curriculum vitae, clearly indicating the reference number, to Teaching and Learning Services at hr.tls [at] mcgill.ca
The deadline to apply for this position is July 10, 2020 at 5:00 PM.
*Current employees: please indicate your McGill ID number in your application.*
We thank all applicants for their interest in McGill University. However, Teaching and Learning Services will only contact applicants selected for an interview.
The masculine is used to lighten the text, without prejudice to the feminine form.
In order to maintain internal priority, McGill employees must apply within the delays specified in the MUNACA collective agreement for positions covered by the collective agreement or according to the personnel policies for positions covered by the personnel policies.
McGill University hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community. We welcome applications from racialized persons/visible minorities, women, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, and persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, as well as from all qualified candidates with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. McGill implements an employment equity program and encourages members of designated groups to self-identify. Persons with disabilities who anticipate needing accommodations for any part of the application process may contact, in confidence, accessibilityrequest.hr [at] mcgill.ca or 514-398-3711.