Under general supervision of the Associate Director, Development, the Advancement Associate performs functions to support the Faculty of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences’ advancement objectives. This includes interfacing with University Advancement central Development and Annual Giving offices to meaningfully engage alumni, prospects, donors and other members of the McGill community in the Faculty of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences in order to maximize philanthropic support for the Faculty and University. The Advancement Associate supports the full spectrum of development activities, including qualifications and solicitations for Annual Fund Leadership gifts.
- Work in close collaboration with colleagues in the central University Advancement Office and other Faculty-based fundraising operations.
- Participate in applicable consortiums led by central teams (e.g., AG, Development) including regular meetings to ensure alignment, share challenges and increase collaboration.
Development (% Time: 70):
- Work with development staff in identifying and building relationships with appropriate donors and prospects to increase awareness and encourage philanthropic support for the Faculty.
- Assist the Dean and Development staff with donor meetings and development events.
- Assist with the prioritization of prospects. Secure meetings/obtain appointments with donors/prospects, organize travel and prepare all related documentation required for visit. Assess and resolve related problems.
- Qualify donors and make Annual Fund asks. Coordinate Faculty annual fund solicitations with the central Annual Giving unit; solicit McGill Annual Fund Leadership gifts.
- Assist with coordination of reunion class gifts; work closely with the central Annual Giving Reunion Class Gifts Officer to ensure effective delivery of the Faculty’s RCG program
- Prepare/draft materials and correspondence related to development activities such as briefing notes, donor correspondence, proposal, MOA’s, etc. Ensure that all communications materials are vetted by the Director of Development and the necessary central University Advancement partners.
- Assist with the coordination of volunteers including the Faculty Advisory Board. Maintain close communication and act as Faculty liaison with volunteers.
- Update contact reports for all prospect activity in the development unit. Prepare reports from the donor database.
- Participate in data capture initiatives and ensure data updates on all prospect and volunteer activity.
- Assist with development projects, as required.
Engagement and Alumni Relations (% of time 15%):
- Working in collaboration with Alumni Relations, participate in the development and execution of ongoing alumni relations programs and events within the Faculty including the organization of the Faculty’s involvement in Homecoming events.
- Assist in organizing the Dean and Development staff’s involvement in development/alumni events.
- Assist with the coordination of Faculty-based volunteer network to assist with alumni engagement and fundraising activities. Responsible for schedules and follow-up communications to volunteers pre- and post- meetings.
- Engage leadership level annual fund donors through group and personalized activities in order move them through the giving pipeline.
- Attend cultivation and donor relations events. Understand McGill’s overall and Faculty’s key fundraising priorities, in order to be an effective ambassador for the University/Faculty and its fundraising programs.
Stewardship (% of time 15%):
- Provide support in the area of donor stewardship (i.e. organization of donor recognition events, acknowledgement letters, monitoring reporting process, etc.).
- Acknowledge alumni and donor constituencies for customized direct-mail and phonathon solicitations.
- Steward leadership level annual fund donors.
- Work with volunteers to acknowledge reunion class gifts.
- Utilize the Stewardship Profile to plan, track, and document stewardship tasks and occurrences, consistent with University-wide standards.
- Coordinate the Dean’s Call list program, ensuring that priority donors have regular contact with the Dean.
Three (3) years' related experience
Please submit your cover letter and curriculum vitae, clearly indicating the reference number, to University Advancement at staffing.dev [at] mcgill.ca.
The deadline to apply for this position is January 24, 2019 at 5:00 PM.
*Current employees: please indicate your McGill ID number in your application.*
We thank all applicants for their interest in McGill University. However, University Advancement will only contact applicants selected for an interview.