Under the supervision of the Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) Operations Manager, incumbent will be responsible for the full administration of the McGill asbestos management program. This includes the development, advancement, maintenance and continuous improvement of the University’s Asbestos Program and Registry. Prepares statistical reports; identifies high-risk areas and develops protocols and schedules for inspecting areas likely to contain asbestos; and communicates asbestos testing results to stakeholders. Participates in the delivery of asbestos training and other safety information sessions; recommends safe work practices to ensure compliance with asbestos regulations; and conducts pre-construction asbestos surveys in support of Facilities Management Project Managers. Supervises the day-to-day work of the EHS asbestos technician. Develops, implements, and maintains various occupational hygiene programs and procedures, such as hearing loss conservation, respiratory protection, confined space, lock out & tag out (LOTO). Performs tasks related to occupational hygiene work, such as sampling of airborne contaminants, indoor air quality studies, noise measurements, confined space entry risk assessments, LOTO procedures, accident investigations, and workplace assessments to identify, evaluate and control workplace health risks.
- Participates in the development and implementation of policies and new initiatives that support the strategic direction of the Environmental Health and Safety regarding occupational hygiene matters.
- Uses professional expertise, specialized skills and knowledge to prioritize activities or analyze a wide variety of occupational health and safety programs and processes related to designated areas.
- Oversees the asbestos management program by planning, schedule and conducting visits in McGill University buildings.
- Supervises the asbestos safety technician, to sample, gather and send bulk samples to the laboratory for analysis.
- Analyzes laboratory reports, and with the technician enters the information in the database.
- Supervises and plans the work schedule of the Asbestos Safety Technician.
- Prepares progress reports on work completed and provides regular updates to various stakeholders.
- Responds to accidents, incidents or complaints related to asbestos and other general safety matters.
- Administers and conducts occupational hygiene studies, including air sampling of chemical contaminants (i.e. metals, solvents and dusts), biological contaminants (i.e. bacteria and fungus) and physical agents (i.e. noise and vibration) in various workplaces.
- Records indoor air quality evaluations and reports on remedial procedures.
- Produces detailed reports with sampling and analysis of data to provide corrective measures and/or specific recommendations.
- Advises, monitors and supports action plans as a result of safety/hygiene audits and assessments.
- Maintains the industrial hygiene equipment inventory for EHS.
Three (3) years' related experience
Five (5) years' related experience
Please submit your cover letter and curriculum vitae, clearly indicating the reference number, to Facilities Management and Ancillary Services:
McGill University, Facilities Management and Ancillary Services (HR), Area Personnel Office
1010 Sherbrooke Street West, 10th floor
fmas.hr [at] mcgill.ca
*Current employees: please indicate your McGill ID number in your application.*
We thank all applicants for their interest in McGill University. However, Facilities Management and Ancillary Services will only contact applicants selected for an interview.