Reporting to the Dean, the Assistant to the Dean is responsible for providing a high level of organizational, planning, communications and administrative support to the Dean and the efficient and effective operation of the School of Continuing Studies in support of its mission. The individual will manage the Dean’s complex time and priorities (often 40-60 appointments per week in the Dean’s calendar), preparing the Dean for scheduled meetings and directing the incoming correspondence that includes email or incoming calls to the appropriate staff or reporting units, document management and file preparation for non-governance meetings. Function with an exceptional level of accuracy, strategic judgment, independence, confidentiality, and efficiency. Dealing with significant change and ambiguity on an almost daily basis, as urgencies arise and as operational priorities are shuffled.
- Administer the day to day operations of the Deans office, including triaging email; preparing letters, agendas, background meeting materials, briefing notes, meeting minutes, project reports, speaking notes, presentations, and confidential correspondence.
- Support the Dean’s strategic priorities and agenda through efficient meetings and travel planning, ensure adequate preparation and briefings, and provide meeting-related materials, etc. Advise the Dean of upcoming commitments, potential conflicts, urgent matters and issues regarding scheduling.
- Provide comprehensive administrative support to the Dean on various committees chaired by the Dean. Plan for standing internal/intra-university committees and meetings, including but not limited to scheduling times and venues, and working through scheduling conflicts that may arise.
- Serve as the Dean’s Office first point of contact for internal and external stakeholders by telephone, email and electronically. Collaborate with Dean and other relevant stakeholders to plan and execute internal and external projects, including the gathering and synthesis of background materials, information or data for reports, speeches and other events in a timely, comprehensive and well-organized manner.
- Prepare and organize documents related to the Dean’s meetings on a daily basis. Track reporting and deliverable deadlines and ensure that they are met.
- Anticipates needs and deliver support to allow the Dean to operate optimally. Assess and prioritize flow of meeting and information requests and delegate to others or bring to Dean’s immediate attention as appropriate.
- On behalf of the Dean or Director, draft correspondence, briefing notes, project reports and other documents as requested as well as compose, review and edit non-routine and confidential correspondence (both letters and e-mails) in both official languages to both internal and external stakeholders, paying particular attention to detail and accuracy in content;
- Arranges all travel and accommodation to national and international destinations in connection with university business, conferences, relationship building related to government and business activities.
- Administer Dean’s budget including processing expense reimbursements claims related travel and/or business meetings, handle with utmost discretion confidential information and matters relating to personnel and other issues; Interpret and apply University regulations, policies and guidelines as appropriate.
- Organize, plan and follow special events to advance the School’s internal and external community engagement priorities, including but not limited to holiday gatherings, staff and faculty recognitions, advancement related events (in collaboration with relevant School staff).
- Supervise any casual or student staff assigned to the Dean’s office.
Three (3) years' related experience
Please submit your cover letter and curriculum vitae, clearly indicating the reference number, to the School of Continuing Studies at hr.conted [at] mcgill.ca.
*Current employees: please indicate your McGill ID number in your application.*
We thank all applicants for their interest in McGill University. However, the School of Continuing Studies will only contact applicants selected for an interview.