University Advancement (UA) promotes McGill to its global community and to the public, engaging alumni, volunteers and friends of the University, and building on McGill’s record of fundraising success in support of University priorities. By joining UA, you can be part of a dynamic, exciting and growing team of professionals that is making an extraordinary impact on the world by advancing the philanthropic and engagement ambitions of McGill University. To find out more about career opportunities with UA, please visit us at https://www.mcgill.ca/advancement/ua-careers
Under the general direction of the Director, Development (Engineering) and the Dean of the Faculty of Engineering, the incumbent will manage the Faculty Advancement team and its daily operations to develop and implement strategies for identifying, cultivating, soliciting, closing and stewarding Special and Major Gifts for the Faculty. The incumbent will develop and implement a fundraising plan for major gift prospects including the identification, cultivation and solicitation of individuals (alumni, parents, friends, etc.), foundations and corporations capable of contributing major gifts of $100,000 or more to the Faculty’s priorities. The incumbent will also develop, implement and lead the Faculty’s alumni relations and engagement strategy and action plan, with the goal of maximizing donations to support the Faculty’s needs and priorities.
- Manage a prospect portfolio (approx. 100 – 150) and carry out significant steps (moves) in accordance with a strategy designed to result in increased philanthropic support for the Faculty and McGill University.
- Identify, cultivate and solicit prospects capable of contributing major gifts ($100,000+) to support Faculty and University priorities.
- Through personal visits, identify and qualify individuals to determine capacity, inclination and interests in providing special and major gift support to the Faculty. Evaluate and recommend appropriate next steps for newly qualified potential donors and current donors.
- Develop major gift fundraising strategies, timetables, and progress reports to secure gifts of $100,000 or more from top prospects in the portfolio. This includes providing strategic development support for visits by the Dean, and other senior administrators.
- Manage volunteer networks that assist in the identification, cultivation and solicitation of prospects.
- In collaboration with the Faculty Development team, manage the organization of special events geared to major and special gift prospects, as well as regional prospects, to enhance ongoing alumni relations with these particular groups of prospects.
- Participate in Prospect Management System; ensure relationships with prospects and donors are managed and recorded in timely and appropriate contact reports, recording of proposals, etc.
- Lead the development of the Faculty’s case for support documents by working closely with University Advancement and the Faculty’s resources, in order to achieve goals and needs.
- Work closely with the Faculty’s Communications team as well as the University Advancement Communications team to ensure that messages and communications (case statements, proposals, bulleting, and donor reports) are consistent with the University’s case for support and fundraising priorities.
- Develop, implement and lead the Faculty’s alumni relations and engagement strategy and action plan with the goal of maximizing donations to support the Faculty’s needs and priorities.
- In collaboration with the Faculty Development team, organize and manage volunteers to assist and promote fundraising efforts, namely the identification, cultivation and solicitation of prospects.
- Manage professional and support staff. Participate in the recruitment and training of new staff, and in establishing performance standards/evaluation for direct reports.
- Undertake special projects.
Five (5) years' related experience
Please submit your cover letter and curriculum vitae, clearly indicating the reference number, to University Advancement at staffing.dev [at] mcgill.ca.
The deadline to apply for this position is December 5, 2019 at 5:00 PM.
*Current employees: please indicate your McGill ID number in your application.*
We thank all applicants for their interest in McGill University. However, University Advancement will only contact applicants selected for an interview.