McGill University is seeking a Controller to lead the University’s finance and accounting team and to be a key contributor as a member of senior management. Under the supervision of the Associate Vice-Principal of Financial Services, the Controller will provide oversight, strategic leadership, short-term and long term goals for the area of responsibility. The Controller is responsible for all financial audits and for setting, maintaining and controlling adherence to University financial policies. The incumbent will also provide expertise on tax matters, financial analysis and internal reporting issues.
- Manage a staff of approximately 20 people (professional and clerical staff);
- Set realistic and strategic goals for the unit and ensure ongoing development, training & coaching of the team;
- Ensure that the unit is optimally staffed to ensure service delivery and efficiency;
Reporting and Controls
- Prepare all official University financial statements in accordance with Canadian and US GAAP;
- Responsible for all internal and external reporting to major units & VP offices, the Board of Governors, audit & finance Committees, government bodies, banks, trustees and other agencies such as CAUBO, Statistics Canada etc;
- Implement and monitor the University operating budget and all financial audits performed at the University;
- Set, maintain and control the adherence to University accounting, control, and financial management policies;
- Provide expertise on tax matters, financial analysis and internal reporting issues;
- Have custody of all University accounting records and systems;
- Monitor delivery and ensure progress of major projects;
- Participate in initiatives related to the improvement of administrative policies, procedures, and systems;
- Represent the Associate Vice-Principal within the University community and externally, as needed;
- Liaise with senior administrators in faculties and other departments on accounting policies, information requirements;
- Maintain positive working relationships with senior administration, internal and external auditors, government officials/associations, external consultants and peer institutions.
Bachelor's degree (Accounting or Commerce)
Twelve (12) years' related experience
Please submit your cover letter and curriculum vitae, clearly indicating the reference number, to Financial Services at hr.finserve [at] mcgill.ca.
The deadline to apply for this position is February 18, 2019 at 5:00 PM.
*Current employees: please indicate your McGill ID number in your application.*
We thank all applicants for their interest in McGill University. However, Financial Services will only contact applicants selected for an interview.