Reporting to the Director – Campus Public Safety, the Emergency Planning Officer will promote and maintain a safe and healthy environment for students, staff and visitors to campus facilities, in conformity with applicable laws, regulations and codes, and develop and implement programs and standards for emergency response to ensure quick and safe response to any and all emergencies on University property and in all University activities.
- Oversees the University Emergency Response Plan, responsible for updating, publishing, and aligning the plan with McGill operations as well as industry best practices annually. Ensures that the updated Plan is distributed to members on a regular basis. Has a sound knowledge of the University Emergency Response Plan and has the ability to orient all newly elected Plan members to their possible roles in an emergency.
- Provides guidance to the University’s Emergency Operation Centre (EOC), and support to the senior administration during campus emergencies. Oversees and leads debrief sessions following emergencies on campus to document lessons learned, analyzes against industry best practices, and produces a report with recommendations to enhance response capabilities at McGill. Follows up on lessons learned and ensures implementation of recommendations.
- Works closely with various units across the university to develop departmental emergency plans and/or plans for special events. Ensures that plans are cohesive, comprehensive and are revised on a regular basis.
- Leads emergency planning working groups to foster and support the continuous development of the McGill emergency management program.
- Represents the Emergency Management & Preparedness unit at various training sessions, meetings, conferences and special events. Is the liaison for other universities and external organizations.
- Works with the Emergency Preparedness Officer to develop and facilitate emergency preparedness (ICS) training and exercises for university emergency responders.
- Works closely with the Emergency Preparedness Officer in the preparation and execution of university full-scale emergency exercises.
- Works with the Emergency Preparedness Officer to ensure that emergency preparedness & response equipment and supplies are available and in good working order. Ensure & arrange for the purchase of supplies/equipment as necessary.
- Ensures that the Emergency Management Contact Lists are up to date and functional, conducts quarterly reviews and verification of call lists, and publishes updates. Sends out semi-annual reminders to update departments' internal call lists.
- Troubleshoots, assesses and resolves problems using specialized skills and technical knowledge. Provides advice to unit members on problem resolution. Develops and implements procedures and/or controls to enhance the operation of the unit.
- Participates in the development and implementation of new initiatives that support the strategic direction of the department/unit by keeping abreast of new developments and trends in the field of emergency management.
Three (3) years' related experience
Please submit your cover letter and curriculum vitae, clearly indicating the reference number, to Facilities Management and Ancillary Services:
McGill University, Facilities Management and Ancillary Services (HR), Area Personnel Office
1010 Sherbrooke Street West, 10th floor
fmas.hr [at] mcgill.ca
The deadline to apply for this position is July 14, 2020 at 5:00 PM.
*Current employees: please indicate your McGill ID number in your application.*
We thank all applicants for their interest in McGill University. However, Facilities Management and Ancillary Services will only contact applicants selected for an interview.
The masculine is used to lighten the text, without prejudice to the feminine form.