Reporting to the Director – Campus Public Safety, the Emergency Preparedness Officer, will promote and maintain a safe and healthy environment for students, staff and visitors to campus facilities, in conformity with applicable laws, regulations and codes, and develop and implement programs and standards for emergency response, ensuring quick and safe response to any and all emergencies on University property and in all University activities.
- Oversees the functionality and maintenance of the University’s’ Mass Notification Systems and tools for emergency responders Trains and works with initiators and users on a regular basis to perfect deployment skills.
- Coordinates semi-annual Mass Notification tests including project planning, results analysis and reporting. Makes recommendations for improving the university’s Mass Notification Systems.
- Works with and supports Campus Public Safety responders in assessing operational response capabilities and areas for improvement.
- Coordinates with Campus Public Safety & other university units to facilitate regular training sessions to review ICS response objectives, strategies and tactics.
- Ensures that all uniform Security Services personnel receive appropriate ICS Level certification in coordination with the contract agency’s delegate.
- Organizes and maintains the Emergency Management & Preparedness training data.
- Organizes & administers university drills and exercises for emergency responders, practicing specific operational procedures and deployment/use of university emergency response equipment/tools.
- Works closely with the Emergency Planning Officer in the preparation and execution of university full-scale emergency exercises.
- Upon activation of Incident Command, provides on-site support to the Incident Commander. Assists in the analysis of emergency response outcomes.
- Coordinates “Incident Action Plan” process for large on campus events and other events that may pose additional security and safety concerns for the university community.
- Participates in community engagement, outreach activities and trainings.
- Analyzes information, procedures or systems to find inefficiencies in work processes that affect McGill’s emergency operations; provides and supports development of solutions.
- Troubleshoots, assesses and resolves problems using specialized skills and technical knowledge.
- Participates in the development and implementation of new initiatives that support and enhance the operational capabilities of the unit by keeping abreast of new developments and trends in the field of emergency management.
Three (3) years' related experience
Please submit your cover letter and curriculum vitae, clearly indicating the reference number, to Facilities Management and Ancillary Services:
McGill University, Facilities Management and Ancillary Services (HR), Area Personnel Office
1010 Sherbrooke Street West, 10th floor
fmas.hr [at] mcgill.ca
The deadline to apply for this position is February 6, 2020 at 5:00 PM.
*Current employees: please indicate your McGill ID number in your application.*
We thank all applicants for their interest in McGill University. However, Facilities Management and Ancillary Services will only contact applicants selected for an interview.
The masculine is used to lighten the text, without prejudice to the feminine form.