Under the direction of the Hazardous Waste Management Manager, incumbent will be responsible for the management of all hazardous wastes generated by McGill University. This includes hazardous waste identification, categorization, commingling, packing and transportation. In addition, ensure compliance with all municipal, provincial and federal regulations that applies to chemical, biomedical and radioactive waste management and disposal; Keep an accurate inventory of hazardous wastes stored in the facility. Process hazardous wastes to minimize volumes in a cost-effective manner (compacting, labpack, pumping, bulking, etc.). Help generate annual reports for governing agencies. Develop, update and deliver the hazardous waste disposal training for McGill staff and laboratory personnel. Provide hazardous material guidance to the McGill community. Respond to hazmat spills on campus using the Incident Command System; Maintain and inspect emergency response equipment as well as personal protective equipment.
- Performs specialized duties for the Hazardous Waste Management.
- Supervise and participate in the preparation of chemical, radioactive and biomedical wastes for subsequent treatment and transportation: chemical waste commingling, prepare labpack, write shipping document, etc.).
- Categorizes and segregates chemical wastes according to compatibility principles.
- Evaluates and classifies radioactive wastes according to physical state, isotope, activity and half-life.
- Categorizes biomedical waste according to the biomedical waste guidelines.
- Responds to hazardous materials emergencies.
- Maintains and operate specialized equipment.
- Help develop, maintain and update hazardous waste procedures and guidelines.
- Make recommendations involving hazardous waste management issues.
- Write and edit reports including technical documentation.
- Provide hazardous waste disposal training for laboratory personnel.
DEC IIIThree (3) years' related experience
Please submit your cover letter and curriculum vitae, clearly indicating the reference number, to Facilities Management and Ancillary Services:
McGill University, Facilities Management and Ancillary Services (HR), Area Personnel Office
1010 Sherbrooke Street West, 10th floor
fmas.hr [at] mcgill.ca
The deadline to apply for this position is February 21, 2019 at 5:00 PM.
*Current employees: please indicate your McGill ID number in your application.*
We thank all applicants for their interest in McGill University. However, Facilities Management and Ancillary Services will only contact applicants selected for an interview.