Under the direction of the Director of Administration and Finance and the Dean of the Faculty of Dentistry, provides a full range of HR services for Academic and Administrative staff for the Faculty. Main responsibilities include recruitment, benefits administration, compensation, organizational development and labour and employee relations. Act as a resource person and provides advice on the interpretation of policies referring to unionized and non unionized employees groups. Act as a resource person and provides advice on the interpretation of policies referring Academic Staff. Participate in the development and implementation of University's policies and new initiatives that support the strategic direction of the faculty by keeping abreast of new developments and trends in the field of Human Resources Management.
- Responsible for all human resources activities for Academic staff (Tenure, Tenure Track, CAS, etc. (approx. 200)). Oversee recruitment activities. Guide and advise Academic staff on the process of hiring and training of TAs and on immigration issues for academic positions, graduate students and post-docs. Ensure all Academics are appointed correctly and on time each year. Liaise with the Provost Office for the application/interpretation of academic policies/procedures.
- Recruit administrative/technical support staff in accordance with University policy and collective agreements. Ensure diverse and very specialized employment needs that exist throughout the Faculty are met. Develop recruitment tools (interview grids/tests), conduct interview and assess test results; conduct reference checks and advise supervisors on hiring. Ensure that appropriate orientation and on-boarding.
- Review, write / audit job descriptions for administrative/technical support staff, and ensure appropriate generic matching of positions. Monitor all requests for re-evaluation, ensuring the maintenance of Faculty-wide equity. Advise managers on the application of the University’s Salary Administration Policy and relevant provisions of the collective agreements. Make recommendations on salary adjustment, hiring salaries and other compensation matters. Identify solutions for problems that fall outside existing policies and submits rationale to Total Compensation for special consideration.
- Provide professional expertise and advice on the application of human resources policies and procedures, collective agreements. Ensure coherent/consistent application of University policies/collective agreements across the Faculty. Advise managers with respect to the management of work performance and disciplinary/administrative measures.
- Provide advice to managers with respect to problem resolution. Identify and analyze current and potential problems and recommend alternatives/solutions (for academic and administrative staff). Work with managers to achieve resolution and provide coaching when appropriate.
- Identify training needs and, as appropriate, the organization of training sessions. Develop and implement regularly scheduled training/information sessions for Faculty staff.
- Conduct exit interviews/compile data on turnover. Make recommendations on how to reduce turnover.
- Ensure the effective administration of performance management process, including how performance reviews are completed. Participate in merit distribution process and develop guidelines to ensure alignment with University practices and to ensure consistency across the Faculty.
- Participates in the development of HR policies and procedures and their dissemination throughout the faculty.
- Directly supervise HR Administrator. Hire, train, coach and conduct performance evaluation.
Three (3) years' related experience
Please submit your cover letter and curriculum vitae, clearly indicating the reference number, to the Faculty of Dentistry at hr.dentistry [at] mcgill.ca
The deadline to apply for this position is January 24, 2019 at 5:00 PM.
*Current employees: please indicate your McGill ID number in your application.*
We thank all applicants for their interest in McGill University. However, the Faculty of Dentistry will only contact applicants selected for an interview.