Nurse (PED 00111, DD014F, Level 014F)
Under the direction of the immediate supervisor, provides nursing care, counselling, and assists physician. Organizes and participates in campaigns, educational programs and other activities related to illness prevention and health. Organizes, distributes and verifies the work of others, and participates in their training. Collaborates in research projects. Acts as resource person on health related matters.
Major Duties & Responsibilities:
- Performs preliminary examination and assesses patients’ condition. Records vital signs and other data in patient files.
- Applies appropriate emergency measures. Orders lab tests, explains test results and provides follow-up.
- Provides medical and psycho-sexual counselling.
- Organizes and participates in campaigns, colloquia, clinics, workgroups, and activities related to illness prevention and health (nutrition, sexually transmitted diseases, contraception, suicide, etc.).
- Acts as resource person on matters related to nursing care and health and instructs others. Directs patients to external specialists as necessary.
- Keeps abreast of new developments in the field to update skills and knowledge.
- Organizes, coordinates and facilitates health education programs. Researches and prepares health education materials.
- Ensures appropriate inventory of equipment and material in area of responsibility.
- Uses a variety of equipment and instruments such as an electrocardiograph, sterilizer, sphygmomanometer, scale, otoscope, syringe, computer terminal, photocopier, fax machine and calculator.
The list of duties and responsibilities outlined above is representative and not a complete and detailed list of tasks, which may be performed by an employee whose position has been matched to this generic job description.
Other Qualifying Skills And/Or Abilities:
Must be licensed with the Ordre des infirmières et infirmiers du Québec (OIIQ). Must be customer focused and service oriented, which includes but is not limited to being approachable, responsive, attentive and helpful. Assists all clients with a positive attitude, tact and diplomacy while maintaining a professional manner and competence at all times. Demonstrated ability to clearly receive, retain and transmit information with a proven ability to communicate clearly and effectively at all levels. Experience in a clinic environment with proven experience performing triage in a fast-paced clinic setting. Must be self-directed and able to work autonomously and as part of a team in a fast-paced, changing and deadline-oriented environment. Proven ability using a variety of medical equipment and instruments, including an electrocardiograph, sphygmomanometer, otoscope and ophthalmoscope. Must be approachable and composed under pressure. Demonstrated ability to take initiative, problem-solve and organize work within area of responsibility. Proven ability to be proactive and devote full attention to clientele. Strong organizational skills with ability to multi-task, prioritize and work under pressure to meet multiple deadlines in a fast-paced, dynamic environment. Proven discretion in dealing with confidential and/or sensitive information or situations. Demonstrated ability to explain protocols to patients and obtain informed consent. Proven manual dexterity and hand-to-eye coordination. Must be accurate and possess superior attention to detail with a proven ability to verify work. Demonstrated ease with technological applications with a proven ability to work in a PC environment using MS Word, Excel and Outlook. Demonstrated ability to work with clinical and administrative information systems such as Medesync is a very strong asset. English, spoken and written. French, spoken and read.
Overtime may be required and vacation restrictions apply during peak periods.