UNIONIZED POSITION COVERED BY THE MUNACA-PSAC BARGAINING UNIT
Under the direction of the immediate supervisor, performs various secretarial duties including word-processing, support of administrative activities, and verifying documents for internal and external submission. Responds to general and student enquiries regarding area's policies, procedures and practices. Completes administrative forms, keeps records, inputs and verifies data. Assists with organization of special events. Makes travel arrangements. Maintains inventory of supplies and handles cash. Opens and sorts mail.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Completes and files forms related to the general administration of the unit. Verifies accuracy and completeness of information on accounting, administrative and student affairs documents and makes necessary corrections. In performing these functions, works within clearly defined procedures, providing assistance as required to those responsible for student affairs or administrative affairs.
- Receives, screens, directs and makes telephone calls; takes and relays messages. Arranges meetings and contacts participants regarding time, place and general purpose of the meeting. Attends meetings, takes and distributes minutes. When requested, schedules and arranges appointments and makes travel arrangements.
- Carries out routine administrative tasks such as taking inventory of and ordering office supplies, returning merchandise, and issuing keys. Contacts resource persons concerning facilities management and follows up on scheduled work. Reserves rooms for courses, seminars and other events, and books equipment and other services; makes changes when requested and/or necessary.
- Processes purchase orders, cheque requisitions, travel advances, expense reports, and handles petty cash. Maintains photocopiers, distributes photocopy codes, and allocates charges. Arranges for printing services, and repair or servicing of office equipment.
- Performs various office functions such as sorting, filing and retrieving files or documents, photocopying and assembling of documents, posting notices, and receiving, distributing, addressing and sending mail. May act as messenger.
The list of duties and responsibilities outlined above is representative and not a complete and detailed list of tasks, which may be performed by an employee whose position has been matched to this generic job description.
Education and Experience:
DEP (Secretarial/Office Systems)
Three (3) years related experience
Other Qualifying Skills and Abilities:
Proven ability to verify, process, and track various financial transactions on a daily, weekly, monthly, and quarterly basis. Demonstrated ability to execute mail merges, send out large batches of offer letters, and follow up to ensure documentation received is complete. Organized, punctual, ability to work within tight deadlines, attention to detail, and resourceful. Proven written and verbal communications in English and French. Demonstrated ability to work in a PC environment using word-processing, databases, spreadsheets (for financial reconciliation and mail merges), and calendar. Experience with Minerva, POPS, Banner, and Microsoft Office Suite. Demonstrated interest in accounting and administration. Excellent interpersonal skills. Ability to work as part of a team and independently.
This is a temporary position of six (6) months, starting in January 2020.
How to Apply:
Please submit your cover letter and curriculum vitae, clearly indicating the reference number, to Enrolment Services at hr.es [at] mcgill.ca.
The deadline to apply for this position is December 10, 2019 at 5:00 PM.
*Current employees: please indicate your McGill ID number in your application.*
We thank all applicants for their interest in McGill University. However, Enrolment Services will only contact applicants selected for an interview.
The masculine is used to lighten the text, without prejudice to the feminine form.
In order to maintain internal priority, McGill employees must apply within the delays specified in the MUNACA collective agreement for positions covered by the collective agreement or according to the personnel policies for positions covered by the personnel policies.
McGill University hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community. We welcome applications from racialized persons/visible minorities, women, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, and persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, as well as from all qualified candidates with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. McGill implements an employment equity program and encourages members of designated groups to self-identify. Persons with disabilities who anticipate needing accommodations for any part of the application process may contact, in confidence, accessibilityrequest.hr [at] mcgill.ca or 514-398-3711.