Under the direction of the immediate supervisor, oversees the day-to-day operations of a unit and make recommendations to improve unit efficiency. May organize, distribute and verify the work of a small group. Acts as the main contact for policies and procedures, resolves complex problems, instructs others. Authorizes and is signing authority for electronic forms and other documents related but not limited to employee salaries, benefits, pension, records and payroll. Provides comprehensive support to the organization of major conferences/meetings. Liaises with external organizations and government agencies. Responsible for documents and files of the unit. Maintains computerized information systems
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Acts as resource person regarding the unit's policies and procedures. Resolves complex problems within area of responsibility. Consults relevant documentation and liaises with appropriate resource persons to obtain and provide information on diverse and complex issues.
- Approves transactions related to all employee groups, such as appointment forms for tenure track academics and appointment forms resulting in any salary change for administrative and support staff, overtime and miscellaneous requests. Calculates retroactive payments.
- Coordinates all payroll activities, including retroactive payments, taxes deductions and other complex payroll calculations. Provides information on specialized payroll processing and guidelines. Receives and responds to subpoenas and process court directed seizures.
- Maintains personnel files and completes documentation for payment, postings, appointments, promotions, nominations, sabbatical leaves, absences, and other administrative forms. Explains procedures to follow. Ensures that deadlines are met.
- Prepares files attaching appropriate supporting documentation and researching information as required. Responds to requests within area of responsibility. Notes required actions and ensures follow-up.
Education and Experience:
DEP (Secretarial/Office Systems)
Four (4) years' related experience
Other Qualifying Skills and Abilities:
Demonstrated ability to multi-task and meet deadlines. Detail oriented with strong organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills; must be client focused and service oriented. Proven knowledge of Banner, Minerva HRIS and BSAC. English and French, spoken and written.
How to apply:
Please submit your electronic application via the web at https://www.hreng.mcgill.ca/applicant click on "Application Form" and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter as one document.
The deadline to apply for this position is April 24 , 2019 at 5:00 PM.
*Current employees: please indicate your McGill ID number in your application.*
We thank all applicants for their interest in McGill University. However, the Faculty of Engineering will only contact applicants selected for an interview.
McGill University hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community. We welcome applications from racialized persons/visible minorities, women, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, and persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, as well as from all qualified candidates with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. McGill implements an employment equity program and encourages members of designated groups to self-identify. Persons with disabilities who anticipate needing accommodations for any part of the application process may contact, in confidence, Professor Angela Campbell, Associate Provost (Equity and Academic Policies) at angela.campbell [at] mcgill.ca or 514-398-