- Oversees the day-to-day operations of the unit/department. Establishes priorities and schedules of projects. Participates in the development and implementation of projects, work methods and procedures. Recommends procedural changes to improve unit efficiency, including recommendations on staff requirements. Follows up on and ensures appropriate implementation of decisions made by supervisor.
- Ensuring that all standards are met and procedures are followed, organizes, distributes and verifies the work of a small team and participates in their training.
- Acts as resource person regarding the unit's policies and procedures. Resolves complex problems within area of responsibility. Consults relevant documentation and liaises with appropriate resource persons to obtain and provide information on diverse and complex issues.
- Approves transactions related to all employee groups, such as appointment forms for tenure track academics and appointment forms resulting in any salary change for administrative and support staff, overtime and miscellaneous requests. Calculates retroactive payments.
- Coordinates all payroll activities, including retroactive payments, taxes deductions and other complex payroll calculations. Provides information on specialized payroll processing and guidelines. Receives and responds to subpoenas and process court directed seizures.
- Act as expert on specialized processing and procedures and assist in the redesign of systems or processes.
- Maintains personnel files and completes documentation for payment, postings, appointments, promotions, nominations, sabbatical leaves, absences, and other administrative forms. Explains procedures to follow. Ensures that deadlines are met.
- Maintains supervisor's agenda. Sets up appointments, reminds supervisor of appointments and organizes schedule according to priorities.
- Provides detailed information to callers and visitors. Determines reason for call or visit and prepares necessary documents. Directs callers and visitors to appropriate resource persons. Assesses need for intervention of other resource persons and arranges appointments as necessary.
The list of duties and responsibilities outlined above is representative and not a complete and detailed list of tasks, which may be performed by an employee whose position has been matched to this generic job description.
DEP (Secretarial/Office Systems)
Four (4) years' related experience
Please submit your application online at http://www.mcgill.ca/medhr/positions-available/apply-now
Click on “APPLY NOW” and clearly indicate the reference number.
The deadline to apply for this position is September 17, 2019 at 5:00 PM.
*Current employees: please indicate your McGill ID number in your application.*
We thank all applicants for their interest in McGill University. However, the Faculty of Medicine will only contact applicants selected for an interview.