The Senior Analyst, Research Data, Policy, and Planning provides support on strategic dossiers to the Vice-Principal (Research and Innovation) [VP-RI] related to policy, planning, and data management for research performance and impact analysis. Reporting to the Director Strategic Initiatives, the Senior Analyst work closely with other units involved in data management such as the Office of Sponsored Research (OSR), Libraries, Faculties, Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (GPS) and Information Technology Services. The Senior Analyst, serves as a resource to the VP-RI, Associate and Deputy VPs in the research sector and contributes significantly to the attainment of McGill’s objectives and targets for research.
The role of the incumbent is primarily in two areas: 1) Research data management: oversight of tools for analysis of data and information, preparations of high-level briefings, reports, and plans; and 2) Development and revisions of policies and procedures. The Senior Analyst will stay abreast of processes, tools, and trends related to research data such as bibliometrics, research funding data, and open science as well as trends in the Canadian research funding landscape including new programs and priorities by the federal and Quebec governments.
- Provide expert advice and analysis using research data, bibliometrics, and research funding statistics and oversee tools for data analysis and management such as Tableau and SciVal.
- Be the liaison person with SciVal, provide training and support to McGill users, and coordinate a group of super users.
- Provide regular reporting on research grants and contracts to Faculties (Deans, ADRs and Chairs), in a Tableau Dashboard.
- Develop data driven reports to inform the development of initiatives and proposals to large-scale grant competitions, such as Canada Foundation for Innovation, Canada First Research Excellence Fund, and Canada Excellence Research Chairs, CRC and CFI-JELF regular competitions as well as for Prizes and Awards and industry partnership initiatives.
- Ensure effective maintenance of datasets and reporting of research key performance indictors (KPI).
- Coordinate data management with units that are responsible for data entry in various systems and databases to ensure that data input is useful for analysis and impact assessment, e.g. OSR for research grants and contracts, Industry & Partnership unit for patents and licenses, and GPS for graduate students and Postdoc data.
- Provide high-level support to the VP-RI, Associate and Deputy VPs with respect to data management, performance monitoring, and analysis. Prepare briefings as needed.
- Responsible for administration of the federal government’s program Research Support Fund (Indirect Cost of research); ensure that the annual cycle of activities are carried out according to the program expectations including liaison with the affiliated hospitals;
- Review and analyze key (internal) strategic plans and reports related to research policy and planning, e.g. University Strategic Research Plan, Principal’s Priority Initiative, etc.
- Undertake critical review of existing policies for research; contribute to the development and drafting of new policies, and revision of existing policies.
- Provide information and guidance to faculty members and staff in Faculty Deans’ offices regarding policies and regulations governing research and facilitate the implementation of new policies, such as establishing processes for streamlining reporting and monitoring of McGill-recognized Research Centres in close collaboration with Faculties.
- Provide input related to McGill’s responses to federal and provincial white papers for consultation, such as federal and provincial government research strategies, new programs and regulations, e.g. pre-consultation fed budget.
- As representative of the VP-RI sector, participate on working groups and committees related to research data management, policy, and planning.
Minimum undergraduate degree
Graduate degree an asset.
Please submit your cover letter and curriculum vitae, clearly indicating the reference number, to Staffing:
McGill University, Human Resources (Staffing)
688 Sherbrooke Street West, suite 1520
apply.hr [at] mcgill.ca
The deadline to apply for this position is December 13, 2018 at 5:00 PM.
*Current employees: please indicate your McGill ID number in your application.*
We thank all applicants for their interest in McGill University. However, Staffing will only contact applicants selected for an interview.