This role, reporting to the Vice-Principal (Communications and External Relations), focuses on strategic support for the Principal and Vice-Chancellor for all aspects of her communications, internal and external. The incumbent will be responsible for proactively positioning the Principal and Vice-Chancellor as an inspiring thought leader on the local, national and international scene, for the advancement of topics and goals of utmost interest to McGill and society. Under the leadership of the Vice-Principal (Communications and External Relations) and in collaboration the CER’s Senior Director – Integrated Strategy and Planning, other McGill Faculties’ and units’ communications officers and the Chief of Staff of the Principal, develops a strategic communications and positioning plan for the Principal with an aim of maximizing her visibility and impact in the community (internal and external) to further her priorities and McGill’s key objectives.
- Identifies topics of high interest to the Principal, selects strategic venues, organizes speaking engagements and prepares speaking notes and other support material to maximize the Principal’s impact.
- Working with other McGill Faculties’ and units’ communications officers, ensures that scenarios for events in which the Principal will participate are professionally prepared and respectful of the event protocol.
- Ensures relevance, quality, alignment with McGill’s goals and key messages, as well as consistency with other documents, of all communications prepared for the Principal, including speaking notes, talking points, presentations, op-ed pieces, internal and external messages, correspondence, etc.
- Assists the Principal in creating top quality executive-level communications, including talks, speeches, presentation and op-eds.
- Evaluates other communications strategies for major initiatives of the Principal’s Office and oversees the development and implementation of such strategies.
- Researches topics of interest to the Principal and prepares briefings for events and meetings.
- Serves as the liaison with other University offices on writing and other communications projects undertaken on behalf of the Principal.
- Collaborates with partner organizations on strategic communications for projects involving directly the Principal.
- Makes recommendations for the revision and maintenance of the Principal’s website and ensures their implementation.
Five (5) years' related experience
Please submit your cover letter and curriculum vitae, clearly indicating the reference number, to Staffing:
McGill University, Human Resources (Staffing)
688 Sherbrooke Street West, suite 1520
apply.hr [at] mcgill.ca
The deadline to apply for this position is June 1, 2018 at 5:00 PM.
*Current employees: please indicate your McGill ID number in your application.*
We thank all applicants for their interest in McGill University. However, Staffing will only contact applicants selected for an interview.