The incumbent will play a pivotal role in the internal and external reporting of the University’s financial position and fiscal year end audits. Major responsibilities include overseeing administration of restricted funds and the preparation of financial statements and various reports. This includes quarterly and annual profit and loss statements, financial statement analysis, the compilation of specialized reports involving the University’s affiliated hospitals, and the preparation and delivery of governmental and statistical reports. Provide professional expertise and support in the development, implementation and enforcement of University internal controls, accounting and reporting policies and procedures and special projects. Supervise and train staff.
- Provide accounting services to support the recording and internal and/or external reporting of the University's financial position, and ensure an accurate reflection of the University's financial position through the formulation, administration and implementation of generally accepted accounting principles, regulations and controls.
- Lead and supervise a team of 2-4 employees
- Provide guidance and leadership to unit members and other professionals.
- Resource person for Faculty Financial Officers in faculties and other departments on accounting and other related matters
- Participate in establishing strategic direction of the unit and oversee implementation of short and long-term plans required for the efficient delivery of accounting services.
- Advise Controller on development and implementation of policies, processes and guidelines that support unit initiatives.
- Monitor progress and results.
- Deliver or support the delivery of accounting services in situations involving diverse practices and precedents.
- Undertake in-depth analysis of highly complex accounting issues, assess impact to the University/unit, articulate alternatives and recommend solutions.
- Ensure implementation of new initiatives that support the strategic direction of the department/unit by keeping abreast of new developments and trends in field of expertise.
- Represent unit at internal and/or external meetings.
Five (5) years' related experience
Please submit your cover letter and curriculum vitae, clearly indicating the reference number, to Financial Services at hr.finserve [at] mcgill.ca.
The deadline to apply for this position is December 13, 2018 at 5:00 PM.
*Current employees: please indicate your McGill ID number in your application.*
We thank all applicants for their interest in McGill University. However, Financial Services will only contact applicants selected for an interview.