Under the direction of the Associate Director, Grants and Agreements, the Senior Grants and Agreements Officer is responsible for the planning, management, and execution of major and/or complex funding opportunities and for raising the profile of OSR, both within the McGill community and externally to sponsors. He/she provides outstanding customer service by assisting and advising researchers during both the pre-award and post-award project phases. The Senior Grants and Agreements Officer is also responsible for drafting, reviewing, and/or negotiating various types of contracts, agreements, and proposals as they relate to research outcomes for academic staff. At various times, he/she may lead or supervise a team of Grants and Agreements Officers who manage a portfolio of federal, provincial, and international research sponsors (e.g. granting agencies, foundations, institutions) within assigned areas or sectors of responsibility.
- Assume a leadership role, in concert with the researcher(s), in the development of new projects for provincial, national, and international funding opportunities, such as grants, contracts and agreements.
- Provide leadership and guidance to Grants and Agreements Officers in the management of a large portfolio of federal, provincial, and international research sponsors and non-for-profit partners within assigned areas or sectors of responsibility.
- Promote and manage the development of complex, high-value awards (multi-institutional, multi-partnered, interdisciplinary, significant budgets, etc.). Build and lead teams in response to major funding opportunities and requests for proposals (RFP) to support the development of applications.
- Develop strong working relationships with university stakeholders as well as funding agencies, organizations, foundations, and non-for-profit partners. Assess and obtain approval for internal resources to support high-value, multi-partner projects.
- Assist in the design, draft, review, and negotiation of complex and detailed contracts, agreements, and proposals for research activities by McGill academic staff. Identify, mitigate, and seek relevant guidance on risk issues, articulate alternatives, and recommend and implement solutions.
- Organize and coordinate site visits by external sponsors for the review of high-value awards. Receive and initiate site visits as they relate to collaborative research projects.
- Provide professional expertise and guidance to researchers as well as existing or potential partners within assigned areas or sectors of responsibility as it relates to contracts and agreements. Inform and educate researchers as to the contract management best practices within the highly competitive commercial environment.
- Monitor progress and results of ongoing projects and other related activities, ensuring that continuity of intent flows through confidentiality agreements, material transfer agreements, and other contracts and agreements as they relate to the program of research. Produce special reports and analyses as required.
- Facilitate the post-award management process with external sponsors and internally at McGill. Work with the Awards Management team regarding post-award issues. As required, communicate with partners to ensure proper management of awarded and committed funds.
- Provide activity and other special reports and analyses within assigned areas or sectors of responsibility to the Associate Director on a regular basis.
- Assume and lead other responsibilities or tasks assigned by the Associate Director related to the support of research activities by academic staff.
Five (5) years' related experience
Please submit your cover letter and curriculum vitae, clearly indicating the reference number, to Staffing:
McGill University, Human Resources (Staffing)
688 Sherbrooke Street West, suite 1520
apply.hr [at] mcgill.ca
The deadline to apply for this position is July 23, 2019 at 5:00 PM.
*Current employees: please indicate your McGill ID number in your application.*
We thank all applicants for their interest in McGill University. However, Staffing will only contact applicants selected for an interview.