Under the supervision of the Director Utilities and Energy Management and Macdonald Campus Operations, the Custodial Supervisor is responsible to keep and maintain sanitation and custodial related activities on the campus. Directly supervises custodial staff and ensures that sanitation standards, procedures and techniques are properly followed. Sets quality standards and monitors work to validate that they are followed.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise custodial staff working across the Macdonald campus and assist in maintaining sanitation procedures and techniques in accordance with the McGill standards and that this unit meets the objectives of quality and service.
- Supervises all work to be done, train and coach employees and help to determine the priorities.
- Administers the human, financial resources for trades (time sheets, work schedules, inventory etc.) and helps operate the unit as cost effectively as possible.
- Develop methods to motivate work force and promote attendance.
- Coordinate the procurement, maintenance and repair of the floor maintenance equipment used by employees.
- In collaboration with the Director and HR, applies and interpret provisions of the SEU Collective Agreement.
- Coordinate activities with other Unit Supervisors and Building Directors as the needs arises.
- Conduct daily control inspections to ensure productivity, complete the required reports, evaluate performance and recommend corrective actions where needed.
- Conduct periodically scheduled Quality Control Audits and follow-ups where needed, initiating corrective action or extra resources depending on findings.
Education and Experience:
Three (3) years' related experience
Qualifying Skills and Abilities:
Knowledge of sanitation and custodial-related operations and services. Demonstrated ability to supervise, train and coach employees. Communication skills including the ability to write user documentation and training procedures. Demonstrated ability to work in a PC environment using word processing, databases and spreadsheets. English and French, spoken and written.
How to Apply:
Please submit your cover letter and curriculum vitae, clearly indicating the reference number, to Facilities Management and Ancillary Services:
McGill University, Facilities Management and Ancillary Services (HR), Area Personnel Office
1010 Sherbrooke Street West, 10th floor
fmas.hr [at] mcgill.ca
*Current employees: please indicate your McGill ID number in your application.*
We thank all applicants for their interest in McGill University. However, Facilities Management and Ancillary Services will only contact applicants selected for an interview.
McGill University hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community. We welcome applications from racialized persons/visible minorities, women, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, and persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, as well as from all qualified candidates with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. McGill implements an employment equity program and encourages members of designated groups to self-identify. Persons with disabilities who anticipate needing accommodations for any part of the application process may contact, in confidence, Professor Angela Campbell, Associate Provost (Equity and Academic Policies) at angela.campbell [at] mcgill.ca or 514-398-1660.