Reporting to the Associate Director Campus Public Safety (Security Services), the Supervisor Investigations and Community Relations is responsible for providing a high level of organizational & leadership skills to the Security Services Department under Campus Public Safety. The Supervisor will promote and maintain a safe and healthy environment for students, staff and visitors to campus facilities, in conformity with applicable laws, regulations and codes. He/she will troubleshoot, assess and resolve problems using specialized skills and technical knowledge. The Supervisor will provide advice to unit members on problem resolution, & will develop and implement procedures and/or controls to enhance the operation of the unit and will participate in the development and implementation of new initiatives that support the strategic direction of the department/unit by keeping abreast of new developments and trends in the security field.
- Participates in the development and implementation of new policies that support the strategic direction of Investigations and Community Relations.
- Deliver and implement safety trainings to McGill students, faculty and staff;
- Supervises the Operations Administrator in statistical analysis and crime prevention;
- Use professional expertise and specialized skills to determine departmental needs as it relates to investigations and crime prevention efforts;
- Plans, implements and manages community relations projects that meet the mission goals of the department;
- Determines scope, timing, and direction of investigations as well as prepares reports that detail investigation findings;
- Represents the University as the primary investigator in criminal cases;
- Obtains and verifies evidence by interviewing and observing suspects and witnesses, or by analyzing records;
- Views, retrieves and authorizes video footage as it relates to criminal acts.
- Prepares evidence for court appearances and serves as a witness;
- Establishes and maintains relationships with external law enforcement and regulatory agencies to obtain and/or exchange information.
- Liaises with law enforcement agencies for the negotiation and settlement of prosecution notices;
- Establishes sting operations based on crime trends in various buildings across campus;
- Disseminates information to the University community on security precautions in case of emergencies or threats;Develops relationships in order to increase the University's visibility within the community;
- Determines departmental needs as it relates to crime prevention efforts as well as conducts tabling events, gives presentations and meets with community members;
- Writes promotional literature to highlight security’s products and services;
- Ensures that the Campus Public Safety web site is updated and current;
- Represents the department and the Associate Director – Campus Public Safety (Security Services) at various meetings and events and/or during his/her absence;
- Undertakes a role under the Incident Command System during a crisis, emergency or disaster in accordance with the University’s Emergency Response Plan.
Three (3) years' related experience
Five (5) years' related experience
Please submit your cover letter and curriculum vitae, clearly indicating the reference number, to Facilities Management and Ancillary Services:
McGill University, Facilities Management and Ancillary Services (HR), Area Personnel Office
1010 Sherbrooke Street West, 10th floor
fmas.hr [at] mcgill.ca
The deadline to apply for this position is May 30, 2018 at 5:00 PM.
*Current employees: please indicate your McGill ID number in your application.*
We thank all applicants for their interest in McGill University. However, Facilities Management and Ancillary Services will only contact applicants selected for an interview.