We are seeking a Systems Analyst to engage in the development and growth of a Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) for the McGill Genome Centre (MGC: mcgillgenomecentre.org ), taylored for high volumes of genomic research and clinical data, that will support a wide range of technologies and experiment types. Under the direction of the Bioinformatics Manager, the Systems Analyst will contribute towards the realization of a complete integrated system which includes, alongside a LIMS, components of customer and work order management, a data access portal, and output data processing and validation pipelines. Responsible for the project advancement, the candidate will gather requirements from internal and external customers and research collaborators, MGC genomic platforms laboratory personnel and project managers. The Systems Analyst will be responsible for coordinating and assisting with the delivery of the project, supporting the development and update of reports, dashboards, meeting minutes, presentations and other key documentation related to the project.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Interact with users and key stakeholders from the various components of the system, including other software development teams within the McGill institution, and third-party software vendors;
- Gather system requirements from internal and external stakeholders, and analyze needs to propose concrete solutions;
- Produce requirements analysis documentation that will be used by software developers;
- Plan regular software development cycles, ensuring they stay within scope given the roadmap and resources available, by 1) deferring non-mission critical items to later development cycles, and 2) keeping development team focussed and shielded from external influence;
- Liaise with all project stakeholders to ensure the proper integration of internal and external components of the system;
- Implement changes as necessary to ensure that the project remains within specified scope, time frame, cost and quality objectives; and keep management aware of the situation with project roadmaps, plans, and schedules;
- Ensure development team adheres to agreed standard procedures in terms of code organization and review, documentation, ticketing system, source control repositories, software testing and deployment strategies, etc.;
- Ensure the satisfaction of all system users through proper releases follow-up, and towards additional software release cycles.
Education and Experience:
Three (3) years' related experience
Other Qualifying Skills and Abilities:
Undergraduate or graduate degree in a related discipline; Proven track record of developing and completing successful Information Technology projects; experience involving LIMS systems is strongly preferred. Demonstrated ability to conduct requirements gathering and analysis, propose solutions and follow-up on the execution with technical resources. Ability to complete project tasks and activities within allocated time and with allocated resources. Ability to write clear and well-organized analysis documentation including user stories, requirements documents, flow charts, use cases, and supporting UML diagrams to support agile based software development process. Ability to effectively manage multiple tasks and priorities. Knowledge of agile software development cycles methodologies. Excellent organizational and customer relations skill. Demonstrated ability to lead and work in collaborative environments; candidate is proactive and demonstrate initiative in collecting information necessary to accomplish goals. Ability to facilitate team members to work effectively and achieve project outcomes. Ability to communicate effectively to all levels including with clients, colleagues, team members and management. Demonstrated attention to detail while also taking into consideration the overall view of the project. Software development skills is an asset. English and French, spoken and written.
Testing will be administered.
How to Apply:
Please submit your application online at http://www.mcgill.ca/medhr/positions-available/apply-now
Click on “APPLY NOW” and clearly indicate the reference number.
The deadline to apply for this position is February 27, 2020 at 5:00 PM.
*Current employees: please indicate your McGill ID number in your application.*
We thank all applicants for their interest in McGill University. However, the Faculty of Medicine will only contact applicants selected for an interview.
The masculine is used to lighten the text, without prejudice to the feminine form.
In order to maintain internal priority, McGill employees must apply within the delays specified in the MUNACA collective agreement for positions covered by the collective agreement or according to the personnel policies for positions covered by the personnel policies.
McGill University hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community. We welcome applications from racialized persons/visible minorities, women, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, and persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, as well as from all qualified candidates with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. McGill implements an employment equity program and encourages members of designated groups to self-identify. Persons with disabilities who anticipate needing accommodations for any part of the application process may contact, in confidence, accessibilityrequest.hr [at] mcgill.ca or 514-398-3711.