This year's Mini-Science presents a unique seven-week public lecture series featuring some of McGill’s outstanding women biologists, chemists, geographers, geologists, and even a historian of science! 2018 allows us to focus on how women scientists have worked with and for science at the University since the first class of six women were taught in 1884.
Mini-Science will take place over seven Wednesday evenings, from February 28 to April 18, 2018. (There is no lecture on March 7.)
Lectures will be presented in English mais nous vous invitons à poser vos questions en français.
6:00 to 6:30 PM — Registration and refreshments
6:30 to 8:00 PM — Lecture with Q&A
Schedule and Speakers
- February 28: History of Women in Science @McGill: Prof. Elsbeth Heaman, Dept. of History & Classical Studies & Interim Director, McGill Institute for the Study of Canada with Principal Suzanne Fortier.
- March 7: No lecture. (Reading week)
- March 14: Physics, astrophysics and women @McGill: Prof. Tracy Webb, Department of Physics
- March 21: Doing chemistry as a woman: Prof. Audrey Moores, Department of Chemistry
- March 28: Earth and climate science and women @McGill: Prof. Natalya Gomez, Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences
- April 4: Decoding the gender-gap in computer science @McGill: Prof. Brigitte Pientka, School of Computer Science
- April 11: Women’s role in sustainability science & the environment @McGill: Prof. Elena Bennett, Department of Natural Resource Sciences & McGill School of Environment
- April 18: Exploring nature's diversity — women and research in biology: Prof. Anna Lesley Hargreaves, Department of Biology
The closest indoor parking for this series is under the Bronfman Building (Desautels Faculty of Management).
The venue is the McLennan Library Building, just across the street, at the corner of McTavish and Sherbrooke Streets.
The main entrance to the venue is from the Welcome Centre on the ground floor of the McLennan Library Building. Take the elevator to the 4th Floor of McLennan Library.
$114.97 for the series (includes all taxes)
$68.98 for seniors 65+ (includes all taxes)
$7.00 for all students (includes all taxes)
No refunds after February 15, 2018