On March 20, 2020, the Government of Quebec announced an immediate shutdown of constructions sites due to the COVID-19 pandemic. On April 7, it was announced that the date to resume construction activities is May 4, 2020. This is a rapidly evolving situation and we will provide updated guidance and information as it becomes available.
Therefore, Facilities Management and Ancillary Services (FMAS) has temporarily suspended all construction projects on campus. All Project Managers from FMAS are working remotely. Activities will resume once the Government of Quebec has lifted the restrictions.
For CFI-projects involving a construction or renovation component, the suspension means the following:
- Ongoing renovation projects are on hold.
- Newly awarded projects, which include renovation, will not start.
- Cost assessment and site validations related to upcoming CFI applications cannot take place.
- The only work allowed to proceed must be related to the design or validation of a renovation project, and only if the professionals have already completed all required site visits. Should these criteria be met, the professionals that can work remotely could continue to work on the design portion of the project and specifications. FMAS Project Managers will assess projects on a case-by-case basis and follow up as they are able.
CFI John R. Evans Leaders Fund (JELF)
- CFI has confirmed that the June 15, 2020 JELF competition remains unchanged.
- The Research Equipment and Space Needs Assessment Form (RESNAF) will continue to be processed and shared with FMAS, so that CFI projects, in which there is clearly no need for renovation, can still proceed with the next submission deadline.
- Applications that require an on-site visit by FMAS to assess renovation needs will be on hold until the next competition deadline (October 15, 2020).
For any questions about your CFI project or upcoming applications, please do not hesitate to contact
Nathalie Foisset, Associate Director, Strategic Initiatives, Research and Innovation, at nathalie.foisset [at] mcgill.ca.
For specific questions about CFI-related renovation, you may also want to contact Anaëlle Perez, Senior Project Planner, Laboratory and Research Facilities, Facilities Management and Ancillary Services, at anaelle.perez [at] mcgill.ca.